S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Anyone know the legal limit for tinting one's windows in the DC, Virginia, and Maryland area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2000, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know the legal limit for tinting one's windows in the DC, Virginia, and Maryland area?
Old 07-17-2000, 08:53 AM

MD is 35% and no mirror (reflective material) tint.
Old 07-17-2000, 08:53 AM

Default Inside

VA - 50 Front, 35 Rear, Vision permit 35 around, 70 windshield

MD - 33% I think, that includes the factor window tint in the glass and they are strict.

DC - You got tint, you got a gun, so they say. DC cops hate tint, I am not what the legal laws are for the district, but they aren't any better the VA and MD. Check the local DMV websites you might be able to find something there.<p>AutoThority Chip
19x8" Axis Se7en - Gun Metal
H&R CoilOvers 25" FR - 25.5 RR
UUC Short Shifter, Exhaust
Llumar Tint 35% - Metalized
Clear Corners
Red Calipers
Old 07-17-2000, 08:56 AM

You are right 33% in MD.
Old 07-17-2000, 08:58 AM

Default But I think the metalized tint is ok..just not the metallic tint.. Ther is a difference.

<p>AutoThority Chip
Clear Corners
Red Calipers
Old 07-17-2000, 09:00 AM

Default Don't let the law stop you (more)

Go as dark as you think you can handle. I'll be putting 5% on the back (limo tint) and 18% on the surrounding windows, as soon as I take delivery of mine. That is what I have on my current Trans-Am and I love it. Not only does it look really good, but it also helps alot on those hot summer days. As far as the legal reprecussions, I've never had a cop say anything about it, and if they do, I'll tell them it was that way when I purchased the car and don't know how dark it is. If you have problems finding someone to do it, just keep looking. As my installer explained to me, it's not illegal for them to install it, just for me to have it.
Old 07-17-2000, 09:07 AM

Default Wrong...In VA and MD, the shop can and will loose it's license if they are caught

installing illegal tint. Don't we also have 1 year state inspections that can cause you problems.

The state regulates it now and the troopers carry the meters in their cars. They will write a ticket and can also ask that you peel it off right then and there. Either way you are screwed. They also make note of your car and will keep an eye out for you to see if you continue to carry the dark tint. I know all this from experience.

5% is dangerous especially at night.

The best way to handle this or a good rule of thumb. If they can see you through the tint, you are probably in the clear. MD inspects the tint at the MVA centers, VA is not so bad, and your car acnnot fail inspection for tint in VA anymore.<p>AutoThority Chip
Clear Corners
Red Calipers
Old 07-17-2000, 09:09 AM

Default Did you buy your car second hand (more)

If you say it came that way the police can surely run a check to see if there was a previous owner.
Old 07-17-2000, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Anyone know the legal limit for tinting one's windows in the DC, Virginia, and Maryland area?

If you know an optometrist, at least in Ohio, they can provide you with a waiver due to your "light sensetivity" from being a contact lens wearer (for example). Then you can exceed the normal maximum tint if you so desire.
Old 07-17-2000, 09:57 AM

Default This is just my personal experience in Oklahoma (more)

I have had my car inspected twice since I've had the tint, and been pulled over several time in OK, once in TN, and once in FL, but have never had any comments about it, also no tickets.

The only time the 5% is bad is when I'm backing out of my drive way at night, but I just check by using my other mirrors. The 18% isn't bad on the sides, but there is no way I'd put 5% on the sides.

With cops, alot of it is your attitude. If you are an *** when you get pulled over, they'll be looking for things to get you on.

Other than that, I would try to find people in you state that have had experience with these issues, and way the risks. For me it is worth it, but that's just me.

Quick Reply: Anyone know the legal limit for tinting one's windows in the DC, Virginia, and Maryland area?