S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

is anyone looking to get rid of their Bose setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is anyone looking to get rid of their Bose setup?
Old 07-09-2003, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sitting in my closet, why?
Old 07-09-2003, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i am thinking of putting it in my car. I know its not the greatest but it will do.

Is the HU the same as the Symphony? Because i've already got the Symphony HU. What all does it consist of? How much are you wanting for it.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:38 PM

Default Don't be crazy, buy aftermarket speakers!

even middle of the road aftermarket speakers are better than the bose, you will notice the difference immediately. I dunno what your budget is, but if you tell me what your looking to spend I can help you pick out the good stuff. But please, don't spend a dime on the bose system, you won't be impressed
Old 07-09-2003, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

my budget is fine. I just wanna keep it stock-like
Old 07-10-2003, 02:44 AM
Elder Member

Yeah, but I want to get rid of the car with it ;-)
Old 07-10-2003, 05:45 AM

Default Good thinking, I did the same thing

Looks totally stock, but sounds fantastic. If you're willing to spend a bit, you can get one of the best systems money can buy for under $2k. I would recommend MB Quart Q series 5.25" in the front (need a special adapter MB makes just for our cars) with 1" tweeters (fit perfectly in the stock location), 6.5"ers in the rear deck. Power it with a seperate 6 channel amp (if you want to keep the rear door speakers working...not really necissary, but nice) that I would bolt to the underside of the hat deck. Then, if you want subs (I would, this is where the most satisfying sound comes from I think) I recommend 2 JL 12W6s or 12W7s if you're feeling rich. Then power the subs with a monobloc JL 1000w amp, and you can't lose. The installation is DIY if you have some time on your hands, and I could help walk you through it if you want. If not...well, you can always just replace the 4 main corner speakers for a few hundred bucks and be happy with the imroved sound.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Re: Good thinking, I did the same thing

How did you get preouts for the amp/amps (1 sub, 1 speaker)? one of those adaptors that plug into the speaker lines? also did you rewire your speakers or run them off the factory lines?
Old 07-10-2003, 06:40 AM

Default Good questions too...

a) I bought one of those blaupunkt RCA adapters for $5, and spliced the RCA connectors in. They are line-level outputs to the stock amp (back just forward of the CD changer in the trunk) which now are spliced to RCA and go back to my amp by thick 25ft RCA cable. The sound is significantly better than the previous solution of high-low converters pulling signal from the stock amp speaker-level outputs. It's also nice because when I get sick of the sound quality from that cheap HU and get over losing the nice stock look, I can get a nice HU and plug it directly in.
b) I get signal from the sub from the 3+4 channels (rear), as my Alpine V12 amp can essentially split that input between channels 3+4 and channel 5 (the sub). If I wanted to I could get a 1-2 RCA splitter and give ch.5 its own input, but there's not really any point to that. When I get a real HU I'll run RCA back so I can control the sub seperately from the HU.
c) I ran the speakers off the factory wire, and it sounds fine, although I regret this. I should have taken the extra effort to run new wiring, but I was lazy. Maybe a future project, but with the door panels off and all that for the initial install, I could have saved myself some trouble and just done it then. It's relatively easy, not as tricky as you'd think.

If you're on AIM, drop your SN in here and I can answer your questions a little quicker.

Cheers
Old 07-10-2003, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default where did u get the Blau RCA adapters??? >>

im in a similar situation and am looking for those with no luck...btw AIM: Master IIK

Quick Reply: is anyone looking to get rid of their Bose setup?