S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

APR Brembo stage I vs. ECS Porche Stage 4

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Brembo's are nice, but are not floating rotors in their base offering -no big deal for street, but for the money... The rotors do a good job of heat disipation but the calipers require the use of a wheel spacer for OEM wheel fitment

Alcon's reduce weight the most, don't require wheel spacers for OEM wheel fitment, retain almost identical brake bias to OEM bias, are awesome for repeated hard use and offer good feel/feedback; but have few pad options, caliper coating doesn't hold up well over time and when the crescent indentations wear down with use wet weather braking is impacted - and are the most expensive of this listing

I think the ECS option is a Brembo caliper (merely designed under Porsche specs/requirements) has good pad options, reduces weight (not as much as the Alcon's) the bias isn't far off from OEM bias, their caliper painting/coating holds up well and is a good value ($$)

StopTech's are good, my only beef is the beef (regarding their weight) - as I understand it, they are the heaviest of the offerings noted but are easy to rebuild and change out pads
Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you for that excellent reply! I am leaning toward the base StopTechs at this point given the special they are offering and the overall performance specs compared with the others. You mention the brembos (and I assume the ECS porche version) will require wheel spacers. What about the clearance of the StopTechs?

Also, I have 18x8 RS4 reps (not deep dish), but I'm not sure if this will have an effect on the spoke clearance over stock..
Old 05-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

StopTech has templates that you can print out to make sure your wheels will clear their kits, just be sure it's scaled at 100% when you print
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wheel_fitment.shtml#a
Old 05-27-2009, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Much appreciated!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

"You mention the brembos (and I assume the ECS porche version) will require wheel spacers. What about the clearance of the StopTechs?"

ECS doesn't require a spacer for OEM wheel fitment and as I understand neither do the StopTechs - however, as AnthraciteCoupeGT mentions, best to print the template for which ever BBK you have decided on and confirm fitment. Also, don't hesitate to call the vendor with questions before you buy.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The stopTech template seems to show adequate clearance for the stock s4 rims, but just barely. Now I have to figure out if they will clear the new rims that are coming.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JW944
when the crescent indentations wear down with use wet weather braking is impacted
I don't think this should be a problem any more than the stock blank rotors. I know that slotted or drilled rotors work better in wet, but it really takes a shallow river or really deep intersection to affect brakes.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

for what it is worth i have the ECS Porsche BBK and they are Brembos..
just a thought
Old 06-01-2009, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by momento1
for what it is worth i have the ECS Porsche BBK and they are Brembos..
just a thought
So they have the porsche logo on the side or the Brembo logo? (Just wondering how you know they are Brembo made?)

How do you feel about the ECS BBK's? Would you recommend?
Old 06-01-2009, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lvevo
I don't think this should be a problem any more than the stock blank rotors. I know that slotted or drilled rotors work better in wet, but it really takes a shallow river or really deep intersection to affect brakes.
IIRC, the stock/OEM setup has a shield on the inside that helps w/wet/rain conditions for the blank rotors.

Thanks for the second point; it rains a lot where I live and we encounter occasional localized flooding - and I've had my sights on the Alcon's for a long time (so this thought and $ setbacks have been a contributor to me holding back).

For me, it is down to the Alcon's or ECS - when the funds are there (and the kits are available).

Quick Reply: APR Brembo stage I vs. ECS Porche Stage 4