S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

APR Stage 2 for 2000 S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR Stage 2 for 2000 S4

I would like to get some feed back on the APR stage 2 kits. I am thinking of going with this upgrade since I don't want to spend too much money and I also don't want to get into tearing my engine apart. Basically I still need a RELIABLE daily driven car (can't stress that enough).
One on my co-workers suggested that I do a small (75 or 80 shot) Direct Port E.F.I. Nitrous System (also to retard the timing because of the higher compression due to the turbos)???
So in short, what are some common upgrades that I can do to my car that will not kill my wallet/car and give my "recently purchased" S4 better performance? I have also been to ACHTUNiNG and other sites looking for different kits but APR seems to be more of what I am looking for.

Thanks Jimmy
Old 01-06-2004, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm sorry but the terms reliable, cheap, and performance upgrades are mutually exclusive.

Actually you can only have 2 of the 3.

You can get cheap and reliable but you won't get max performance.

You can get max performance cheap, but it won't be reliable.

You can get reliable performance upgrades, but they won't be cheap.

That's just the way it goes.

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2004, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: APR Stage 2 for 2000 S4

The best way, in my opinion is to pick and choose and all the tuning yourself. First, I'd start out with a chip, I recommend GIAC. That will run you about $600, not including installation or shipping. H&R coilcovers are a good choice if you want to lower the car and give it even better handling. That will run you well over $1,000 and close to $2,000 depending on what you get. Another common mod is to put an exhaust system on the car. You usually gain 5-15 HP with this. Depending on which you go with. The Twin2 and Borla systems seem to work nice for people. Expect to spend about $700 for this. The prices vary a lot on this modification, so if money is a problem, shop around. And make sure you hear a sound clip of the exhaust before you buy it! They are so many modifications you can do the 2.7T, you enhance almost anything. Also, a good place to look at the avalible mods for the S4 is at www.awe-tuning.com.
Mike B.
P.S. Research, research, research!
Old 01-06-2004, 04:43 PM

Default Re: I'm sorry but the terms reliable, cheap, and performance upgrades are mutually exclusive.

Thank you for your reply HIS4. I guess I should have mentioned that I am not looking for max performance, just a little/some more power. My main goal is keeping my car reliable.

I would also like to stay away from upgrading the turbos.

Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2004, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default catback=+15HP? I Call BS

5 at most, even though tuners claim 10 on average

I want some hard data backing up to 15HP
Old 01-06-2004, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm just messin with you : )

If you're looking for something that's somewhat conservative (which is the same boat I'm in right now) APR is a good place to start. According to many on this forum, GIAC is somewhat aggressive when it comes to chip tuning. Another one to look into for conservative tuning is O.CT which is sold by Stratmosphere. They claim to have a more conservative approach to tuning which retains some of the stock characteristics of the car.

As far as exhaust goes, just pick one that has sound qualities that you are looking for. I don't think there are significant differences in performance with any of the aftermarket exhausts that are out there. It just depends if you want quiet or loud.

Check out the link for O.CT products:<ul><li><a href="http://www.stratmosphere.com">http://www.stratmosphere.com</a</li></ul>
Old 01-06-2004, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default my alllroad gained almost 20hp with the APR dual catback! stock is restrictive as hell

And Don has a tech article where he felt or proved or whatever that he gained around 10hp with his forge/milltek
Old 01-06-2004, 07:30 PM

Default I have APR Stage 2+

I think you'd be happy with most any tuner with equivalent components but I chose APR for the basic performance mods and am satisfied with them and the quality. I have no experience with Nitrous systems and can't comment on that but a little searching will turn up plenty of info I'm sure.

<b>My basic performance mods:</b>

Chip - WOW! Huge power gains. APR has nice features with their chips and GIAC does as well. AMS makes a damn good chip too as well as MTM and others.

Catback - Don't expect much performance gain but you will get a more aggressive exhaust note and a few extra HP. There are many options from quiet (my APR Stealth) to loud as hell. HP gains are similar, be concerned with the sound more, especially if your S is your daily driver like mine.

Downpipes - Huge power gains but not quite as much as a chip. AWE has a nice set of DP's as do many others.

Suspension - I went with H&amp;R Coilovers - confidence inspiring handling with the bonus of a lowered look that's adjustable in height. Also still very comfortable. There are many other options from soft to stiff to cheap to expensive.

<b>Misc. Good Stuff for problem areas:</b>

Bailey's Diverter Valves - Stock ones are prone to fail and can cause hesitation and other problems. There are many options available and most all do a great job.

APR BiPipe - Replaces the Throttle body boot which is prone to fail. I've experienced this first hand. Failed TBB's vent your boost to the atmosphere and cause lost power and can strain your turbos and damage them. Others use Samco TBB's or Kevlar reinforced TBB's which are great too.

MTM F-pipe - Like the TBB, the F-hose is prone to failure and has similar side-effects. I've also experienced this. Others use Samco F-hose or a homebrew Home Depot copper tubing replacement.

AWE DTS - The transmission moves significantly when shifting. The DTS delivers much better shifting in my experience. Others have experienced less dramatic results but most people swear by them. Other tuners have DTS's as well. APR (or other tuner's) Snub mounts fix the same problem from a different direction. DTS is generally conisdered the more effective option. They can be used together for a really solid shifting experience.

Toy Guy Short Shifter - Much more reasonable shifter throw and generally regarded as the best SS out there. Very smooth. Tanoga, UUC and others are praised as well by many.

AWE S-Flo Intake - Not really a problem area but it seems to fit in this category. Some like'em, some don't. Drop in replacements are good alternatives. There are different intake options from different tuners. Don't expect a huge gain but you might get a little.

<b>Things I want to do:</b>

Brakes - Many love Stoptech brakes, others like the various Porsche options, still others like Alcons, Stasis, Brembo or others. The S4 brakes are great but I'd like to at least get some sort of rotor upgrade (bigger? slotted? cross drilled?), better pads (hawk? pagid? mintex?), and Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines. This should help with feel and fade if not stopping distance as well. I've experienced fade with the stock brakes when hauling it down quickly from the lofty digits - scary.

Intercoolers - Stock intercoolers heatsoak quickly in hot weather. The RS4 intercoolers are awesome, AWE has done a good job of making some easier to install and slightly better intercoolers than the RS4's. DUH is about to come out with there Front Mount Intercooler. Other tuners will be offering other options soon if not already. Cooler air into your engine means a faster, happier engine. Also, the aftermarket intercoolers are more reliable than the stockers with their plastic end tanks which could potentially leak with similar side effects of a torn TBB but this seems to be much rarer of a problem.

<b>Conclusion</b>

IMHO, most any upgrades in these areas from most any tuner are great choices. All of the tuners that cater to us are awesome and are passionate about this car. I honestly don't think you'll go wrong with any of these upgrades no matter who you go with cause you'll be better than you were stock and for the most part they're all pretty competitive. Plus, at this level of modification, all of these mods have been sorted out fairly well and are pretty solid. You'll see a lot of discussion about someone saying "this" is a waste of money or "that" is a far superior product. Take it all with a grain of salt and choose what you want based on your desires and enjoy your car.

<b>Last but not Least!</b>

The best mod of all, Search! Then SEARCH again! When you're done searching, search some more. There is a TON of great info on this board going back several years about this car. Take advantage of it! There are very few questions you could ask that haven't already been answered in painfully lengthy detail. There's not a single thing I've written here that couldn't be found by searching.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:52 PM

Default Re: I have APR Stage 2+

Generic,

Thank you, this is exactly the info I need for my research.

Thank you again!!
Old 01-06-2004, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default a "road dyno" doesn't count, I didn't consider Don's #'s objective

and the allroad exhaust may be a different setup

Quick Reply: APR Stage 2 for 2000 S4