S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

APR... your Bi-Pipe fitment is not perfect...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could you crack the four bolts holding the radiator support and pull it forward some?
Old 03-08-2004, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have the guys doing my 60K service try to work it a little.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Banned

Default maybe try removing the fan and installing a washer on its threads (complaint within)

. you have plenty of room for it to go that way. i like the bipipe, but they've been cheapening it up.

no more nicely machined lower bracket at the TB, no more stainless washers, o-ring DOES NOT FIT THE MAP SENSOR. HELLLLLLO!?!?!?!?!?!!?!? the "16" SS clamps they give are on the small side as well. i've had a case where i couldn't even get one on one of the DV hoses. i'm not bashing apr either, i just want to see a great product continue to be great. i've installed countless bipipes. heck, even today i had another latest bipipe with a map o-ring that was way too large.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dang, you beat my other post. ;) .........I do have to disagree with APR having no blame.

That's something that should definitely be addressed when design a part. I guess at the same time too, I'm sure APR has factored in that some cars there could be a problem due to tolerances.....who knows, I'm just glad my sh*t fits...lol Cause if I had this issue the day I installed mine, I would have thrown it out my garage from TX to their front door in Bama. ;-)
Old 03-08-2004, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They seem to stand firm in having no part in the blame.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Banned

Default want me to ship you a bipipe to see if it does the same thing?

would eliminate your car as the problem if so.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:31 PM

Default It's not so much a problem with Audi production tolerances as it is the fact that APR

doesn't have access to them. You can apply all the GD&T you want to that bi-pipe, but you still can't guarantee it will fit unless you know all the tolerances of the mating parts. APR did the best they could with the information that they had, but engineering a solution like that works wonderful for one-off pieces, but as we have seen it doesn't create a universal solution for everyone.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default give them a CALL, email and message boards are always last on the to do list.

when you are on the phone speaking directly to someone you are the only thing they are taking care of at the moment. if you want results, speak to them.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, I understand both sides. From a consumer stand point, this would **** me off.

From a business stand point, I can understand their point of view as well. They are designing a aftermarket part for a car. There has to be some understanding on the consumer's part that not all cars are the same and that results may very. I'm sure their goal was/is to design a part that functioned properly on each and every car it's installed on....but we as consumers can't be blind to the fact that each car is just a little different and there could be an issue. I guess since I've been on design teams in my life, I can understand their side as well as my side.

Either way, document your problems and send it to them so they can record it. That's the best way we can help them make their products better.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've spoken to them already...same thing..." you installed it wrong."

Quick Reply: APR... your Bi-Pipe fitment is not perfect...