S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Audi car cover - yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi car cover - yay or nay?

I'm towing my car behind a U-Haul truck in about a month (don't worry, all 4 wheels off the ground) and I'd like to get a good cover for the trip. The Audi one looks ok, but is there a better one (all weather) at the price?<ul><li><a href="http://collection.audiusa.com/store/accessory.asp?parent%5Fcategory%5Fid=11&amp;catego ry%5FID=52&amp;subcategory%5FID=225&amp;product%5F id=1184">Audi Sport car cover, $225</a></li></ul>
Old 07-02-2003, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would say don't cover it...

I think a car cover is just too loose and wouldn't stay on with all that wind. Plus, that cover itself would be slamming against your car, and could scuff the paint pretty badly in some spots. Maybe use a car bra to protect it from chips?
Old 07-02-2003, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Audi car cover - yay or nay?

I have the audi car cover and it fits very well. It never blows off the car like a universal type cover. I used to live right on the ocean and I had a unversal type cover on my other car and I'd always come out and find it in the corner of the lot or I'd tie it to the wheels and it would be hovering like a parachute above the car. The S4 audi sport cover fits like a glove. Grabs the mirrors and the elastic holds tightly under the front bumper and most of the wheels. If I were traveling with the car (not just garaging )I'd probably use the new cover and also additionally secure it down. You don't wanna look in the rearview and realize the cover has been gone for 40 miles. That would suck. The only bad thing about the cover as with all other covers and hood bras is that if the car is clean they will keep it clean nicely, but if the car is dirty or if dirt starts to fly under it and get stuck between the car and cover the wind buffeting and movement will scratch the hell out of the car. I only put my cover on after my car is waxed. I own a detail shop, I'm a fanatic. Puttin it on a dirty car will scratch the car and dirty the cover which will hold dirt and be more detrimental to your car next time. They say to machine wash the cover at a laundromat but I don't think it would get very clean. It's very big. The best way to wash the cover is to put it on a car (NOT YOUR CAR) and wash it with mitts. Do both sides.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This is going to be a 5-day trip, I *really* don't want to leave it uncovered
Old 07-02-2003, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah, I was planning on washing/waxing before putting the cover on
Old 07-02-2003, 11:04 AM

Default Re: I would say don't cover it...

a car bra is terrible. After you drive for a little bit peel it back and look how much dust is settling in there. As your drive the engine vibration would just dull it to ****. Like super fine sand paper. I'd drive with the cover on. I mean behind a uhaul truck I'm sure there wouldn't be much turbulence as close as the car is sitting. But just to protect from rocks or something.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:27 AM

Default Don't cover while towing with an open trailer

you'll do much more damage from the paint getting thrashed by the cover.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default even a clean car w/ a tight cover?

I guess you've towed your car many a time and speak from experience
Old 07-02-2003, 11:35 AM

What that makes no sense what you said?? he is towing with a U-Haul Truck.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:36 AM

Tape all the leading edges with that blue racer tape stuff.

Quick Reply: Audi car cover - yay or nay?