S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Audi S4 vs. Honda S2000 Comparison (Please read and respond)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S4 vs. Honda S2000 Comparison (Please read and respond)

Ok, as many of you know, I traded in my Formula Red S2000 for a Casablanca White S4 a couple of weeks ago. I would like to tell you how the Audi stacks up against Honda's screamer.

I know there is a price difference, but the Audi build quality is so much better. When I say quality, I mean the fit and finish of the Audi is great. The Honda had cheap leather, cheap carpet, bad paint..etc. All I am saying is that you can see why the Audi cost almost 10k more, but it is worth it.

While both cars have almost identical performance numbers, roughly 14.0 flat in the 1/4 mile at around 100mph, the cars acheive those goals in different manners. The Honda gets only 153 torque at 7500 rpms, while the Audi gets 260 at 1800. Now, which is more fun? The Honda is, but it really gets irritating have to wait so long for the power to come. Also, unless you want tons of cabin noise every time you want to move, the Honda is a single purpose track car.

Now, I truly feel that the Honda's performance numbers are very misleading. One magazine reported 0-60 in 5.2, but that was with an 8000 rpm clutch dump. Try feathering off the clutch or doing a rolling start in the honda, and the car becomes a true slug. It rolls to 60 in over 7 seconds. The Audi would dog it off the line unless the Honda was willing to dump the clutch. So this is why the S4 is a better performer. It gives the driver more than one option to go fast.

Also, while cruising on the highway going 55 in 4th gear, the S4 has plenty of pull, plenty. At 55, in 4th, the S2000 would not move. The Audi would have like 20 car lengths by the time they both hit 110. You would have to be in 3rd in the Honda, and even then, you would be below Vtec at 55 in 3rd. So 2nd would be needed to really pull hard.

Handling: Well, the S2000 is a race car, ideal for the track, but dial in some bumps (like every road in Ny has) and the Honda becomes jittery and snap oversteer is common. I was very dissappointed with how upset the S2000 became with any inputs that were not perfect. I looped the Car of turns that my miata took fine, and that the S4 stays glued. On the Highway, the S4 shines, solid, steady, calm and collected. Effortlessly pulls to 130. The Honda gets too light in the rear above 90 to make highway runs fun, they become too scarry, the car becomes too unsettled.

Where the S2000 shines: Shifting far beater than Audi, Brakes, as good with more feel than S4, looks, the thing draws a crowd. Sound of engine (when you want it, it is heaven, when you don't, it is hell. )

In the end, I would love to have both cars, but if I had to pick one, I would take the S4 anyday. You can live with the S4, you can't live with the S2000 everyday. Also, torque is what makes cars fun. Honda uses bhp numbers to sell cars, but unless you are willing to beat them into the ground, you might as well add a second and a half to every 0-60 time Honda/acura claims.

Oh, and the best thing about the S4 is that for $800 you can make it a super car with gobs of torque. I put a $500 intake and $1000 exhaust on my S2000 and got 5bhp at most.
Old 10-04-2000, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Audi S4 vs. Honda S2000 Comparison (Please read and respond)

confirms what I've read about the S2000 in reviews. Overall AUDI much better. How about the ragtop on the S2000? Putting a permanent roof over your head was not a big deal?
Old 10-04-2000, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the comparo...

i just got back from a honda dealer this morning - before i brought my s4 in and before i saw that spooky lady (link below). anyway, i'm getting one of these little 9K rpm bangers! i've been wondering what it would be like to drive one and it seems as though it will make a perfect companion to the s4! don't need two cars that drive the same.

getting ready for spa yellow s2k next spring! talk about the wait and markup on these things! if you know of a dealer that sells one better than $1500 over MSRP, email me. thanks!
Old 10-04-2000, 11:25 AM

Default I saw an S2000 on the track the other day, looked like it was fast and could (M)..

Handle the turns reasonably well.. On the track I think that the S4 can eat the S2000 for breakfast, though (S4 is less than a race prepped car than the S2000).. On the turns the S2000 will have to wait till the power kicks in at very high RPM's when exiting a turn... The S4 will overcome this task quite effortlessly, without waiting for the power... IMHO you can't compare the cars, then again I never was a fan of Japaneese cars. I like the sweet sound of a quality german engineered automobile...

My $.02
Old 10-04-2000, 11:34 AM

Perfect timing of his post, huh?
Old 10-04-2000, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 0-60 times

i'm glad you mentioned the 8k clutch dump to get good times in the S2000. a guy i work with bought one when they first came out (heard he paid like 10k over MSRP or something ridiculous like that too!) and he had a drag race with another co-worker who has a Jag XK8. despite the magazine numbers that say the S2000 should win easily, the race wasn't even close and the Jag just killed him.

having said that, i think the S2000 would be a fun car to autox. probably much more fun than the Jag.

chris
Old 10-04-2000, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I got passed by a stock S2000 in my racing Civic...

even though I had about 1/2 the HP, I had fully set-up racing suspension and he was still kicking my *** in the curves...the S2000 really IS a track-ready car.

The problem is, like you, I don't live on a race track and for the realities of street driving, I just find the S4 to be more of everything with less effort. I have a high regard for the S2000 and for Hondas engineering overall. I think they achieved exactly what they were after and the S4 is a completely different animal but Audi achieved exactly what THEY were after IMHO. I think it comes down to what YOU want out of a car. I couldn't live with an S2000 and I'd still rather have a dedicated race car than even a faster (but waaaaaaaaay more expensive) street car for the track.

Anyway, my clients couldn't sit in the back seat of an S2000 ;-)
Old 10-04-2000, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some good news for you......

Jackson Racing is developing a supercharger for the S2000. That should hopefully take care of the torque issue.
Old 10-04-2000, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thanks! been hangin out at the s2000 boards lately...

and they've also got a supercharger made by comptech(?). maybe it's by jackson racing. i could be wrong. but at least people are doing something about that 153 lb.ft. of torque albeit it is at an insane and wildly enjoyable 7500 revs.
Old 10-04-2000, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default it's been a weird day

btw, went back that dealership and the guy that happened to be asking all the questions about the s4 turned out to be a manager there. he introduced me to another salesperson and that person had told me everyone at the dealership was asking about my s4. gotta love this car!

Quick Reply: Audi S4 vs. Honda S2000 Comparison (Please read and respond)