S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Autocar 911 vs RS4 vs M3

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2000, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The S4 Avant drives and handles better than the 4 door (marginally)
Old 09-28-2000, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That pretty much sums up the entire debate for anyone who has common sense.Not meant to be an insult

<p>00 2.7T
17"ATP/Yoko S
Old 09-28-2000, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Er, what's your point?

What is it about wagons that hamper performance? Just 'cause US drivers are too insecure to drive wagons unless forced to doesn't mean they can't be sporty if a manufacturer chooses to make them that way.
Old 09-28-2000, 07:50 AM

Default Thanks for making my point for me...

Audi *didn't* choose to make the RS4 that way, did they? Maybe you'd care to guess at the reasons why.

So my comment stands. He's got a comparison of a 911 and M3 vs. an Audi wagon. Two different classes of automobile designed for two different audiences.

Enjoy your Avant.
Old 09-28-2000, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

hey cheng, did you read Automobile magazine where the F360 Modena whalloped the Z8? Just as relevant
Old 09-28-2000, 08:02 AM

Default 321Ponies: you're confused.We're not "playing".. Go masterbate to an M3 poster or something.

This whole M3 vs. S4 crap has really diminshed this whole forum.

What is this obsession with the competition between BMW owners and Audi owners. Why do BMW supporters feel it necessary to come over here and say "hey!!! look at this, yet more proof my choice is better. blah blah blah...

Who cares?!?! Enjoy your choice, I know I love my S4, I'd probably like an M3 if it came in a 4 door... So your M3 will be faster, or handle "better" or whatever you deem important.

So what? These endless rants about the superiority of BMWs must be compensating for something?!? Go out with your girlfriend / wife /boyfriend, take a walk, see a movie, but get off this superiority kick. Are you a better person than an S4 owner because your (will arrive someday)M3 will "kick S4 ***?". Good for you! If you had any couth, you'd all smuggly sit over on bimmer.org and pity those stupid S4 fools and bask in the glory of your fellow M3 zealots...

Get a life.
FrancisB

As Rodney would say, can't we all
Old 09-28-2000, 08:25 AM

Default Journos harp on too much about 'feel'. Would M Schumacher prefer

a feeling car or a faster car?(presuming they were mutually exclusive).

I like all three marques. But Autocar are predictable on the 'feeling' bit. I have a 330ci had a M3 e36 evo and they felt good but not the holy grails the magasines make them out to be. So does RS4 I own, so did 993 and so will faclifted '01 996 3.6 C4 on order. BUT SO WHAT?

All are great drives (M3 e46 will be). But M3 will have to be worked very hard (look st the torque figures) indeed to stay with well driven RS4, which although does not 'feel' (how subjective -I know)good, will accelerate harder and corner faster than the bimmer.

Interestingly, they show no incremental higher speed in gear figures for the M3. With only 3.2 litres it will struggle to hold 911 and RS4 above 100mph. Load 4 people in M3 and the torque deficit will show. Let it rain and....

So we have heard that RS4 is some 10 secs quicker around Nurburgring than e46 M3. We have now heard from initial tests that M3 will feel damn good to drive. I think Schumy or any race driver would choose uninvolving pace over driver-flattering feel most times.

M3 looks good though - I saw one at a preview. I may get one. But Porsche is still better and starting to look good value once you take into account lower list and still solid residuals.

M3 will not be exclusive enough for many.
Old 09-28-2000, 08:58 AM

Default how many times i do i have to say that the M3 IS a better sports car?

maybe i need a macro for this post? whatever... here it is again.

the M3 (all variants) is a better sports car. it handles better, feels better at or near the limit, especially at the track.

the S4 (all variants) is a better commuter car. it's got more gadgets, it's more comfortable, there's more luxury, etc.

anyone who bought an S4 expecting it to be a sports car, will probably be dissappointed. (unless maybe they've never driven an M3. the S4 IS a better sports car then an accord for instance)

by the same token, anyone who buys an M3 expecting it to be a luxury car will probably be dissappointed. audi, mercedes, lexus, etc... they all make better luxury cars. (again... if you're comparing the M3 to a honda it's more luxurious)

so... summary...

if you wants a sports car buy an M3 (or 911, or corvette)

if you want a luxury car that happens to be fast buy an S4 (or lexus or mercedes)<p>Sean Hester
Old 09-28-2000, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think the 325/328/330 is a great car, but I guess if it's not "M" its ****E to you, huh?
Old 09-28-2000, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default "You can't handle the truth!" as Jack put it. If you want a sports car you are wasting your money

with the M3 PERIOD!!! It is only marginally faster than my S4, which is a pig in sportscar standards!!! By the way, what do you drive?

Quick Reply: Autocar 911 vs RS4 vs M3