S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Autocar 911 vs RS4 vs M3

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2000, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody who buys an RS4 thinking it is a sports car has made the wrong decision

If I want a sports car, I buy a Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus etc. Some people just don't get it that the RS4 is a station wagon with exceptional performance figures, but with no aspirations to be a true sports car. That's why it is set up with an emphasis on comfort and luxury.
Old 09-28-2000, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree with you but you missed *my* point.

Totally agreed, the RS4 is not as sporty as the other two. However, my point is that it's not the wagon chassis that is the reason - it's the choices Audi made with the ECU, suspension, etc.

It seems like a rather stupid comparison anyway: take a two-seat sports car, a 4-seat sports coupe, and a sport wagon and compare them? Is it any wonder the one in the middle won? I mean, of course it's the best balance. You might as well toss in the Mercedes ML55 'cause it's as similar to the RS4 as the RS4 is to the M3. And on the other end why not try the Ferrari?

What really screws up the testing criteria is the 911 - they should have used an E55 or something. Then all the cars would actually be similar.
Old 09-28-2000, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Porsche and RS4 are substantially more aren't they?
Old 09-28-2000, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Why not spend another $15k over your S4 and get the Z06?

You guys should just say your prefer the S4. I mean to argue that your $41k car with $10k in mods is equal to or just a tick faster than a stock M3 for about the same money is not a real strong argument. That torqueless car seems pretty damn quick and, in fact, the reviews have not complained about a lack of lowend. My M5 has relatively low torque but is plenty fast. Don't always be deceived by numbers. With 25% drivetrain loss a chipped S4 has well under 300ft lbs to the wheels. Still real fast but this bench racing is tiresome.

KKelly
91 M5
Old 09-28-2000, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You are completely right. I will never spent 10k to replace the turbos on this car

because it would be dangerous with out spending another 5k for coils, breaks, etc. I am thinking about getting the Vet as a second car, but I have to wait and see where I will be living next year... Given it is somewhere warm, the M3 will be a contender and would allow me to save lots of dow, since I will not need my S4 in that case
Old 09-29-2000, 02:56 AM

Default You'd have to quantify 'substantially more'. Cost of ownership not purchase being operative to me.

RS4 if it follows RS2, will have rock solid residuals (RS2 still make good money 6 years on and lost nothing in fact had premiums for first 4 years). Audi servicing is substantially cheaper than BMW in UK at least.

Porsche, once they quit pissing with the lists, will return to good solid value when time come to resale olding 60+% of their value over 3 years according to my financiers. Servicing IS expensive. trade-ins and therefore cost of ownership are relatively low (less than a ford $ for $)

BMW M3 looks good value at just <£40K. I am sure that whenyou do the options this will quickly creep towards £45+K. Options that experience has taought me with bimmers particularly, will be worthless as soon as you leave the showroom. But that's not all BMW simply made too many e36 M3s (70,000+) and they therefore lost value quickly making them real expensive to buy new and run for 3 years. (the smart money bought an 18 monther and changed it within 18 months. Servicing costs is very high for bimmers, although qulaity of service is high.

So, if you look just at list you (and Autocar)may have a point. BMW £40K vs Audi £46K vs Porsche £55K. Take into a/c ownership costs, you will erode that difference in 1 year. Take into a/c exclusivity and understand that the BMW will become relatively common quite quickly.

The Porsche actually looks good value now and that is why I am getting one. Audi is here now, exclusive, v fast, practical and imo cool looking.
M3 will be great but 'just another 3 series' to many.

Choices.......
Old 09-29-2000, 03:00 AM

Audi engineer did not recommend yokos - try P zero yellows he said, short life but sticky....
Old 09-29-2000, 05:40 AM

Default Corvette a sports car. Yeah right, such a well-honed chassis. Grunt and grip yes. Finesse at

..the limit? hmmmm. Other wise I agree with you comments save to say that many of us have had M3 and S4/RS4. Away from the track you will seldom reach the limits of either in UK. Corvettes, although good power (power to weight is actually less than RS4 BTW) and great torque delivery, has a surfeit of grunt over controllable grip and is simply too big and unweildy to let loose on our little roads.

Incidentally S4 has beaten M3 and C43 in UK tests but all ahve commented on good M3 Steering and handling: unless it's damp which is frequently the case in UK.

I think your point is that S4, M3 are in the same price league, as really will be RS4, since if you are spending £40K on a e46 M3(and believe me that price WILL end up at £45K when you've done some options) and extra 7-8K really does not nake that much difference.

Now if you want a TRUE sports car look no further than a Caterham 7 or Lotus Elise:-)

And for big cruising roads as you point out Audi or Lexus is v good.