S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Axle Bolt Stuck, any tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Axle Bolt Stuck, any tricks?

I'm trying to do my rear wheel bearings and I cannot remove my drivers side rear axle bolt. It is on there so tight and I do not want to strip it. I tried using a 4 foot extended bar for leverage and I tried using an impact gun with 120 psi and I also tried to hit it with a torch for 10 seconds a few times. It will not budge. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

crank on it until you strip it, once it's stripped and not removed then drill the head off and the threaded part will come out by hand as long as it isn't corroded..
Old 03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nchiarel
I'm trying to do my rear wheel bearings and I cannot remove my drivers side rear axle bolt. It is on there so tight and I do not want to strip it. I tried using a 4 foot extended bar for leverage and I tried using an impact gun with 120 psi and I also tried to hit it with a torch for 10 seconds a few times. It will not budge. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks
"Strip it". Are you using a socket of hex? The hex will work the best since it is really large and fits inside like a glove. Also, make sure to spray it with PB blaster and then heat up with torch, repeat several times. Spray again and leave overnight. This will ensure it frees up as much as possible.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to use a much longer bar--actually the handle of a service jack and borrow a 250 lb. mechanic to pull it down while three of us held the the Audi from rolling forward. Also, using a Snap On heavy duty impact gun will help to loose it before applying the long bar. The bolt is 12.9 pc (property claas) and did not break or strip.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys, I ended up having to drive to the Audi mechanic down the road so they could hit it with the acetylene torch. The propane just didn't get hot enough. Now I have other problems though. I can't get the right rear ABS sensor out. It is stuck in the hole and I almost snapped the housing already trying to pry it out.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nchiarel
Thanks guys, I ended up having to drive to the Audi mechanic down the road so they could hit it with the acetylene torch. The propane just didn't get hot enough. Now I have other problems though. I can't get the right rear ABS sensor out. It is stuck in the hole and I almost snapped the housing already trying to pry it out.
I couldn't get mine out either, so I just disconnected the cable under the rear seat.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had to destroy mine to get them out. Now I buy new ones to have on hand because all the 10 year old Michigan Audis I work on have been exposed to road salt measured in tons/mile per winter.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
I have had to destroy mine to get them out. Now I buy new ones to have on hand because all the 10 year old Michigan Audis I work on have been exposed to road salt measured in tons/mile per winter.
Funny you say that. I snapped the drivers side rear sensor trying to get it out today. Is it recommended to disable the ABS system when this happens until I replace it or am I fine driving without one?