S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

AXXIS Ultimate now available for the S4

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tried calling you last week, left message. blue A6 in Monterey

Joe,

Sorry I missed your call. Call me Monday. So did you use the team passes to get into the hot pits?

Bob Lee
StopTech LLC
Old 09-13-2003, 03:14 PM
Elder Member

Default I've bedded pads dozens of times, I know how to do it. :)

The pagid blues I eventually got from you guys worked perfectly with a good bedding, the axxis pads still had bad wet-braking problems no matter how I bedded them. I know two other guys who had the same problem, and switched to the pagids after I got them from you guys.

Perhaps other people have had good luck with them, but I didn't. No big deal, they're sitting on a shelf for an emergency set of pads.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:25 PM

Default AXXIS Pads / Wet Weather

Maybe around 1-1/2 years ago or so, I helped a customer using Ultimate pads on an S4 with our 332mm big brake kit who was having some wet weather issues in Washington state. Fortunately, this customer was willing and able to give us some detailed feedback and work through several things to try and solve it. When all was said and done, it was indeed a bed-in issue in that he had run a track event using alternate pads and never re-bedded the system after switching back to the Ultimate pads. Once he had a dry day (took about a week), he did a very dedicated series of bed-in cycles to remove the alternate pad material from the rotors and re-bed the Ultimate pads. He then followed a truck on the freeway for maybe 5 miles in heavy rain to really make sure things were as saturated as they could be, and tried the brakes on an off-ramp. No problems, stopped as well as you'd expect any car to stop in such conditions, issue resolved.

Without overstating things, we have sold maybe 10,000+ sets of Ultimate pads with our kits and various other vehicles. We have tested extensively with these pads and I will personally vouche for their Maximum Operating Temperature to be as stated, as I have taken several thousand sets of readings with a touch probe pyrometer on rotors during testing. Blindfold me, and I can pick out the car running Ultimate pads by the smell; I'm dead serious.

Granted, there will be occasions when some set of circumstances makes for an alternate set of results from what is desired. I don't at all doubt a few others may have had a wet weather problem with the pads, and would gladly try and help resolve that situation for anyone who lets me know.

Sometimes things don't work how we hope, however in the case of Ultimate pads, I wish every product I've ever been involved with had such a high rate of customer satisfaction. Remember, the AXXIS lines of pads are high performance street pads, designed to work in street scenarios such as cold and wet; and in the case of Ultimate, way beyond most street pads when hot. It is also a pretty incredible value with most pad sets in the $40-60 range. As for the S4, nothing is even close for the price on a set of stock caliper replacement pads.

Again, I don't discount anyones personal experience, and seeing it posted here is a good thing in that it gives us a chance to continue to make improvements in what we sell and how we support those products. If negative issues were the norm with Ultimate pads, we would not be offering them.

If you have any questions about Ultimate pads or any of our other products, please let us know.

Matt Weiss
StopTech
Old 09-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Craggy Old Man

Default yes we did. my daughter was able to get the entire Joest team to sign her audi flag

All because we were on the "other" side of the wall . Thank you very much and the parking was alot closer to the paddock area.