S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

back to the exhaust stuff, i thought i might shed some light on how and why the duals work (more)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2000, 03:16 PM
DK

That's what I thought, thanks
Old 02-15-2000, 03:25 PM
matthewk

actually it has alot to do with turbos. you can inscrese the velocity of the exhaust by pipe size.
Old 02-15-2000, 03:42 PM
RM

Yeah, before the turbo. After turbo its called restriction.
Old 02-15-2000, 04:44 PM
JOEL

Default Re: This is Normally Aspirated stuff-it does not apply with turbos. Best exhaust is no exhaust.

With turbos you want no restriction after the turbo period. There is no room for discussion in this area. There are all kinds of things you can do from the heads to the turbo but after the turbos you want the least amount of restriction. Go to race forum if you want to confirm.
Old 02-15-2000, 04:55 PM
Biturbo

Default Re: What are the max torque gains and HP gains with your system - Interested? (Chipped & unchipped)

Mark did a 13.7 run with just the exhaust at the drag strip.
Old 02-15-2000, 05:23 PM
TurboX2

Default Very concise explaination on exhaust tuning but.......

like some one pointed out, works on NA engines or before the turbo. If you really want to maximise exhaust tuning, make a header that utilizes the principles you mentioned. Once the exhaust gases hit the turbo turbine, none of what you mentioned matters. That is why there is so little hp/torque gain from an aftermarket exhaust. The best exhaust for a turbo is no exhaust. Just like the best intake for a turbo is airhorns.
Old 02-15-2000, 05:34 PM
BrianN

Default Did he make any passes with the stock exhaust?.....

If so, what were the differences in trap speeds? Trap speed is a good gauge for HP production.
Old 02-15-2000, 05:41 PM
Sander

Default Indeed. Turbo charges mess up an exhaust so thoroughly things change dramatically

At least in the Eclipse world a free flowing exhaust is considered a good thing. I have a 3" catback on my 2 liter turbo charged 95 GSX. On a normally aspirated engine of similar size 3" would be way to big and cause a drop in low end torque. For turbo chargers things change dramatically. I'm no expert in the matter but the exhaust manifold and downpipe (piece between turbo and cylinders) do need to be properly tuned for a turbo engine. After the turbo just leave disconnected if you can stand the noise :-)

Regards,

Sander (95 GSX, Nogaro S4 on the way)
Old 02-15-2000, 06:45 PM
Bill D

Default Good Reading...but turbo does change things (more)

I can see that you are pretty serious about this exhaust...

I am no expert, but I've built a few fast turbo cars here and there. I would guess that most of the effects that you speak of would get muffled or eliminated by the turbo. In my experience turbo's need an exhaust that redirects the exhaust gases to a safe exit with the least restriction...that's the only design principle. That is why HKS makes exhausts with 4 1/2" mandrel bent piping for Skylines and Supras...

About the best set-up for a turbo is an airhorn in...and an airhorn out....Now there is a TON of finite tuning in the intake and exhaust manifolds
Old 02-15-2000, 08:43 PM
mark@velosaudi

Default hey RM thats true in boost but any turbocharged car isnt TC 90% of the time...more!!!

thats why the "TUNED" crossover dual design is the best for a steet car!!!my S4 will beat a "comaparably" equipped S4, every time!!!my intake and exhaust designs build boost faster...i have been doing HP improvements on V engines for a long time...i have a "WORLDS" fastest vehicle under my belt...no disrespect here, but come on we are talking a street vehicle...

Quick Reply: back to the exhaust stuff, i thought i might shed some light on how and why the duals work (more)