S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Boo... It was bound to happen sooner or later. There goes a nice clean record. (long for no reason)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boo... It was bound to happen sooner or later. There goes a nice clean record. (long for no reason)

I just got my car back from the body shop a few days ago, but I've been working my tail off, so I hadn't gotten a chance to really "shake her down".

Anyway, I got a chance tonight... I just went driving for the sake of driving. And I came across a totally empty road... miles of open road.. no hills... no turns.... in the middle of NOWHERE. Seriously... there wasn't a light to be seen for miles.

It was a clear night.... and well... I decided... what the heck. I rolled down the windows, dropped it a gear... and hit the "go pedal".

I want to reiterate that there were NO turns... and every time I DID come across a car (3 in 20 mins), I slowed down WELL in advance to the speed limit.... I'm talking 2-3miles lead time here.

Anyway, the car seemed solid and I realized.. hey there's a car WAAAAY back there in the rear view mirror. And it's been steadily gaining on me. Well I'm thinking that in the back of my head. Anyway, I figure I've gone far enough and pull over to a complete stop. Check my mirrors... and flip a u-turn to head back home. The car that WAS following me... does the same.

Now I don't see ANY lights on this car... actually it turned out to be an SUV, but whatever. Something is up. I hit the hazards and pull over. I leave the car in gear ... ready to take off in case it's NOT just a coincidence. I genuinely wasn't thinking it was a cop, but I didn't want to be around someone following me. I also didn't want to out run them if it WAS a cop.

Cherries

Crap. It was a cop. Well at least I didn't make him chase me... that should be a plus on my side right? Well I'm trying to figure out what speed he POSSIBLY tagged me at. I'm thinking... either he'll understand that it's a completely dessolate road and sympathize with me wanting to shake down my car.... or he'll take me away to prison. Depending on when he clocked me of course.

"How fast were you going son..blahblah"
"probably way too fast officer. I'll be honest, I just got my car back from the shop and I wanted to make sure it was still road worthy... I wanted to shake out any problems."

"blahblah when'd you get it back..blahblah liscence and insurance blahblah"

Oddly enough, I had to fumble through my insurance paperwork from the bodyshop for my insurance card. Heh. Anyway he tells me he got me on radar at 82. (I'm thinking... heh that's it?) and goes back to his truck.

He comes back and I see a clip board in his hand... ahhh crap. Okay. Fine. He says he was nice to me and wrote me up for a 75 in a 55. But then refused to let see the radar detector saying he'd already cleared it. He also said under arizona law he's not required to let me see it anyway.

Hrrrm... Well that struck me as a bit odd... anyone else? Anyway, I talked to him for a bit more... he told that he didn't think the speed limit should be 55 originally either, but evidently there's wild horses (WTF?! goddamn arizona) that occasionaly go romping across this road and can tend to cause accidents.

So I suppose I understand.... and I don't really mind the $180 fine.... That's cool. I've got no problems with the speeding. That doesn't honestly scare me since I'm USUALLY pretty good on public roads (except when I'm w/ bryce and mobrazen... they're bad influences).

I'm genuinely more concerned with what a 20 over ticket does to my insurance. Hrrm maybe my insurance company will let one slide on my otherwise "clean" record.

(No I can't use the get-out-of-jail-free class... the officers ticketed EVERYONE in my accident and I had to use it for that... boo).

Anyway, does anyone else think the radar detector thing is odd?

Oh... and another thing... the statute makes no mention of exceeding the posted speed limit. the statue cited says I was exceeding reasonable and prudent.

I'll be honest.. I never once felt unsafe. Especially considering I could see for literally 3 miles.

Hrrrm... but that radar thing really bugs me.

Anyone know someone in the phoenix area I can talk to?
Old 01-08-2003, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like it's worth a trip to court to try to fight it. If nothing else...

Let the Judge give you a chance at another Traffic School so you can keep it off your record. it never hurts!
Old 01-09-2003, 01:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Don't know about CA, but in PA...

the insurance company isn't real pro-active. They don't check people's driving records unless something changes. For example, policy change, new car, a claim, whatever. So just be a good boy until the ticket disappears (~2-3 years usually). That's what I did anyway
Jeff
Old 01-09-2003, 01:55 AM
zon

Default radar is what he has, radar detetor is what you should've used.

i've never dared to ask to see the radar readings, and i've never heard anyone successful at doing so. even if he had it, i think its more about "i am a cop, and you should respect me, so when i say no i m not going to let you see it, you are NOT going to see it" kinda thing. If you think you have something to fight for and can get a honest lawyer, go for it. otherwise, do what 99% of the ppl do, pay. find a honest "traffic" lawyer, that's all you need, he'll tell you straight up.

in NYC i heard from a co-worker he used some retired DA, or judges which became a traffic lawyers, and he got off the hook most of the time.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:23 AM

Fight it!!!! It was probably his own SUV (unmarked right?) and he guessed a speed you were going...
Old 01-09-2003, 04:15 AM

Default Try this next time.

Assuming you had a radar detector so you _know_ he didn't clock you, but is trying to milk you to convict yourself. If you were clocked fair and square it's probably not a good plan.

Instead of:

How fast were you going son..blahblah"
"probably way too fast officer. I'll be honest, I just got my car back from the shop and I wanted to make sure it was still road worthy... I wanted to shake out any problems."

Try:
How fast were you going son..blahblah"
"50-55, I just got my car back from the shop and was enjoying the night."
Grumble, no way, blah blah, I had to do blah blah to catch up, etc. etc.

No sir, 50-55, just enjoying some music.

etc etc..

Hopefully would turn into some variation of:

I know you were going faster than that, but I can't prove it, you have a nice night and slow it down.
"Thank you officer, you have a nice night too."
Old 01-09-2003, 05:19 AM

no ---- be a man and take your lumps you WERE breaking the law
Old 01-09-2003, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default While I sympathize, Nick is right, you really screwed yourself by admitting you were speeding. Once

you did that, the cop had no choice but to write the ticket. You told him you broke the law and it is his job to do something about that.

Anyway, under the circumstances, I'd say find a lawyer. I don't know how things are in AZ, but in VA, 20 over is automatically reckless driving and carries a pretty stiff penalty. That said, VA should NOT be used as the benchmark for what traffic laws are, this state sucks.

Bottom line, check with the DMV to see how many points this carries. A lawyer might cost $500 - 800, but that might be worth it to keep a clean driving record.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:34 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default :-)

I can't tell you how long I've been thankful for this backwards state!!! However, 2 accidents in one year (one partially at fault, the other not at fault, but not settled either) have me wondering how long my stretch of good luck will run. A ticket from Ohio has yet to catch up with me.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you guys are so lucky

here in Assachusetts, the state mandates that your insurance goes up an extra 7% a year for 6 years, for each ticket. And they notify the insurance company of your new step each year... IF it goes up. They don't tell them if it goes down (i.e. a ticket drops off your record), so you have to be vigilant or you overpay.

And there is NO such thing as a non-surchargeable ticket here... even expired registration, taillight out, overdue for inspection, etc. jack up your insurance for 6 years.

Insurance in MA is the worst in the country.

Quick Reply: Boo... It was bound to happen sooner or later. There goes a nice clean record. (long for no reason)