S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Boston Drivers: Can MBTA police give out tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2001, 12:59 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously? I always thought they were kinda like security "cops".

Oh, well I was never worried about it, since I walked, took the T or rode my bike (often faster than driving!) everywhere back then. Boy, does insurance suck there!
Old 09-21-2001, 01:16 PM

Default Here is where they like to stand ...

Usually you can find a couple of MBTA officers on top of the Mass Ave bridge over Mass Pike.
So, if you are going into town on Boylston St., and you take the illegal left turn onto Mass Ave, they catch you, and ticket you.

So, apparently, both MBTA officers and University Cops can stop you for traffic violations.

Sorry to hear they caught you being "bad"!
Old 09-21-2001, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Boston Drivers: Can MBTA police give out tickets?

Yes they can. They are regular police officers assigned to the MBTA.

In about 2-3yrs ALL MBTA officers will automatically become official MA State Troopers. In fact they have already gained the power to cite drivers on state roads, ie... highways/major interstates just like the State Police. That's why all of the sudden you see them pulling people over on RT. 93 ALL THE TIME!

I learned the hard way as I didn't slow down for one that was following me one night. When he pulled me over he looked at my State Police sticker on the back of my car and stated, "If you were thinking that only State Troopers can pull you over your wrong. The MBTA now has jurisdiction as well." I was like, Ummm.... Yeah. Suck my ***!

He gave me the ticket. I appealed it. The magistrate laughed when he saw that it was from a MBTA officer and threw it out. They aren't too happy about the whole deal.

Rob
Old 09-21-2001, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

As long as you win, you don't get a ticket
Old 09-21-2001, 01:49 PM
Elder Member

Default BU officers weren't able to give speeding tickets when I was there.

Don't know if it's changed in two years though. They always were seeking that authority (and I wish they had it while being a pedestrian on Comm. Ave, dodging my foreign Armani clad, chain smoking, slicked back hair, exotic car driving at ludicrous speed fellow classmates :P) however.
Old 09-21-2001, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Hey, are you making fun of me? :-P

But I wasn't smoking back then just yet......at least not cigarettes.
Old 09-21-2001, 04:15 PM
Elder Member

Default Did you have a highly modified Porsche or MB in college?

Son of royalty? Regularly drop hundreds of dollars on nights out (during the school week!)? That's the kinda craziness at BU, I'm talkin' about... :P All about perspective, I thought I was spoiled growing up in my little suburb, phew. ;-)
Old 09-21-2001, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know they can give tickets now... read this

I was pulled over by one a couple years ago... here's what happened:

I was doing a u-turn and I did a fish tail just for the hell of it. (this was before my audi) A BU cop was way down the road, saw it, and pulled up next to me at a traffic light 2 miles down the road. He starts talking some **** like "i saw that, i can give you a ticket... blah blah" and then I noticed the car said BU in small letters near the back, so I said "are you a BU cop???" and then he gets pissed, turns on his strobe lights, and says "PULLOVER!!"

so i pull over. he calmed down and we were talking for a few minutes about BU police vs. regular poilce etc. And he didn't give me a ticket. the end.
Old 09-21-2001, 06:05 PM
Elder Member

Default Hmm, but he didn't give you a ticket though, so he coulda been lyin'. :P

Trying to scare ya maybe? Seriously, they didn't have that jurisdiction in '99... Not trying to argue, it's certainly possible they can now...
Old 09-21-2001, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

but i know someone who was arrested by BU cops in 1998

Quick Reply: Boston Drivers: Can MBTA police give out tickets?