S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 or Dunlop Winter Sport M2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run LM 22's and I have no complaints at all
Old 10-30-2002, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M2s.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:51 AM

IIRC M3's are run flats, and are currnetly only available for the mini cooper s
Old 10-30-2002, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why these two? Why not Pirellie Snowsport 240 or Pilot Alpin.

I have tried all of the above, and would recommend the LM-22 if you drive in really deep snow and on ice frequently (more than chicago, buffalo or detroit), Best deep snow and heavy ice tire of its rating.

But, if you want a quieter, better wearing snow tire that's better in the dry and wet (where most snow tires are driven in the US), get the snowsports or pilot alpins. I have had wintersport M2's on my S4 and have them on my Eurovan currently (VW sold four 16" OEM wheels with the wintersport M2's for $150 TOTAL, yes, TOTAL for four. Otherwise I would not have put them on my truck). I cannot wait to replace them.

My opinion. Wintersport M3 is much better, by the way. I run pilot alpins on my S4 and dive 6 weeks per year on unplowed (all winter) forest service roads in Michigan's upper penninsula. Car blasts through 12" of snow without a hitch, and the pilot's are soooooo quiet and handle great in the wet and dry.

Mike S
Old 10-30-2002, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default LM-22, SnowSport, WinterSport M2, & Pilot Alpin are all the same type of tire...

They are all "winter tires" and are H-rated. For PA (Philly) winters, you really don't need anything more.

If you drive in deep snow/ice frequently, then you want a softer "snow tire," which is usually T- or Q-rated. Example: Blizzak MZ-01, MZ-02, Artic Alpin, Nokian Hakka-Q, Gislaved NordFrost, etc.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

I love my M2's.. you could run them all year, they don't give much up, unbelievable in snow.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Right. Any H-rated snow tire will do for most; Q-rated on downsized rims for heavy duty winter.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's some M3 info translated from German to English

As a comfortable HighPerformance winter tire, the winters sport M3 gives the security that you need, and the Grip that you demand to you. More Traktion, high Aquaplaningsicherheit provide for its special Lamellen-structure, the course direction bandage profile with wide Drainagerillen and the new Silica-custody mixture and exzellenten drily and Nassgrip under all wintry load conditions. With its extensive dimension-offer of 13 to 19 customs, the winter sport M3 is the ideal winter tires for existing and future vehicle-generations. Also with Speedindex ,,V" (until 240 km/h) available.

Highly-amplitudes-Lamellen with handle edge for increased Traktion in the conveying and shorter brake ways extended

Optimized profile groove-geometry with wide, rotating Drainagerillen and V-förmigen breadth groove for higher Aquaplaning- security

New Silica-custody mixture for more flexibility of the course area in low temperatures as well as more Grip in wetness, snow and ice

Comfort-in the profile as well as an intelligent arrangement of the profile blocks to each other disturbing high frequencies eliminate would notch and provide for sound arm, comfortable going

The computeroptimierte high achievement construction caused increased Schnellaufsicherheit and guarantees outstanding, would secure handling characteristics to the wear
boundary<ul><li><a href="http://www.dunlop.de/de/data/productnews/index_fr.html">Dunlop German SIte</a></li></ul>
Old 10-30-2002, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Winter Sport M2 has been around since 1993.

<ul><li><a href="http://www.dunlop.de/de/data/productnews/entwicklung.html">http://www.dunlop.de/de/data/productnews/entwicklung.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-30-2002, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Winter Sport M3 available sizes....

<ul><li><a href="http://www.dunlop.de/de/data/productnews/lieferprogramm.html">Winter Sport M3 Sizes</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 or Dunlop Winter Sport M2?