S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Bridgestone survey, take two!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2000, 03:18 PM
Jim De Arras

Default Bridgestone survey, take two!

My first attempt turned into a minor fire, mostly my fault, so I will try again!

Folks, I did not, and still do not, like AOA. I think the user and dealer community would be better served by leveling thier headquarters, and building a parking lot. I felt that way before this tire issue, and my feelings have not changed. Audi AG is another story, I have the utmost respect for that company.

Now, to the issue at hand. I will not lose sleep over a bad tire, but it appears to me we have a generic defect of some sort, here. That is worth pursuing, for the safety and wallets of all S4 owners. It also weighs in my decision for future tire purchases, in particular, I was prepared to order Blizzaks this afternoon, but now am leaning away from all Bridge/FireStone products.

So, to that end, could you post a simple reply indicating which tire had the "bubble", where it was located, how many miles were on the tire, and your HONEST belief about the cause of the defect, if you hit a pothole, or brushed the sidewall, please say so, even if you do not think it was enought to cause such a problem. You can say that, too.

That way we may see a pattern, or we may disprove my "theory"!

Thanks,

Jim
Old 02-14-2000, 03:50 PM
matthewk

3500mi, right front, i think that i hit a city tity...
Old 02-14-2000, 03:50 PM
ChuckH

Default Jim, have you contacted Bridgestone directly? (more)

I find it hard to believe that Bridgestone would let you down if there is a problem, but I wouldn't know. I certainly wouldn't avoid Bridgestone based on one tire. I have had many sets of Bridgestone tires and have never, ever, had any problem at all. One of the best aspects of all the Bridgestones that I've had was that they were excellent in rain. Also, they have been quiet. I would try a different tire dealer if you have one. Infact, the Bridgestone/Firestone Centers are scary, but there are other places to get the Bridgestone brand, and with better service and price. I'd contact Bridgestone and find out all the local shops that carry them and also ask them about your problem. Good luck!

Charles
Old 02-14-2000, 04:20 PM
BruceS4

Me too, right front approx 4500 miles
Old 02-14-2000, 04:20 PM
Jim De Arras

Default I did, they seemed cooperative, and refered me to the local tire guy that said "no way!"

I plan to call back tomorrow, and see if they are still reasonable. I would like to see if we have a generic problem, first. And as to avoiding bridgestone based on one tire, that depends on how they handle that tire. I have had warrenty claims against two or three other tires across the 30+ years I've been driving, and never have I been treated as rudely as at that tire dealer. And never have I not been offered even some token amount until now. No, but for $325, they were willing to replace it. Bridgestone DID refer me to that guy, remember. I will allow them that mistake, if they make a reasonable settlement, and even go on and order those Blizzaks. But I cannot personally justify giving them a cent more until I see how they ultimately handle this, no matter how good thier tires may be.

Service is at least as important as product.
Old 02-14-2000, 04:23 PM
BruceS4

BTW, it may have been a pothole, but not one that I can remember that was bad enough to do damage
Old 02-14-2000, 04:25 PM
Jim De Arras

Both of you: Outside or inside of tire?
Old 02-14-2000, 04:27 PM
Russ Burns

Collect some pictures, and email them to audi, and bridgestone Hi res ones.
Old 02-14-2000, 04:28 PM
RSF

Default I picked up a nail at 200 miles,2 Firestones in SoCaL told me they wouldnt touch my Avus rims(more)

I dont think I will be going back to Firestone.
Old 02-14-2000, 04:30 PM
BruceS4

Outside

Quick Reply: Bridgestone survey, take two!