S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Bulge on Bridgestone RE040's -- Anyone Else? Warrranty coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2000, 06:35 AM
LCP

Default Bulge on Bridgestone RE040's -- Anyone Else? Warrranty coverage?

See link for post in wheel forum please. Reply there as well. Thanks.<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/wheel/13776.phtml">https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/wheel/13776.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 02-07-2000, 07:59 AM
Jim De Arras

Default PUT THE SPARE ON NOW!

You are playing with a blow-out!
Old 02-07-2000, 08:10 AM
JeffD

Default Re: Bulge on Bridgestone RE040's -- Anyone Else? Warrranty coverage?

I had the same problem after only 5 days of driving. I noticed it when I had my snows put on. Bridgestone covered 50% of the tire. My dealer covered the other 50% as the damage most likely happened during transit.
Old 02-07-2000, 08:25 AM
Drew

Default Re: Bulge on Bridgestone RE040's -- Anyone Else? Warrranty coverage? (LONG)

Yes, I have had this problem (in fact I had two very noticible bulges in one tire). Please
email me. The dealership would not address the problem because they said the only
item on the car not covered by Audi warranty are the tires. As a result the pointed me
to the local Firestone/Bridgestone tire center. There I found some one who told me it
may be a defect that would be covered under warranty so he ordered me a
replacement tire. At this point I thought I would only have to pay for the portion of the
tire I used (1/32 in about 3,000 miles). When the tire came in and I went to have it
installed the shop decided it was road hazzard damage (ie. they claimed I hit a curb or
a pothole) which is not covered under the tire warranty. Therefore, they wanted me to
pay for the new tire (~ $240) and all labor. I went ballistic claiming I hadn't hit anything
(which is true), and finally after much arguing he agreed to give me the tire under
warranty (paid ~ $18) since he said he couldn't "prove" that it was my fault. I left with
the problem "solved" but I was concerned there may be a problem with the RE040's.
While I want to change them to SO2 Pole Positions I want to try use the stock tires for
at least a couple thousand miles, after all 5 new SO2's are not cheap. However, The
other day I realized that I have a bulge in a different tire now. I don't know what I am
going to do because I would be surprised if I can get this one replaced under warranty
also (I think he only agreed to do the last one because he had already ordered the tire
and thought I might walk out). Maybe more importantly I am really beginning to
question the reliability and overall structural integrity of these tires. I think there must be
a design flaw or manufacturing/material defect. This shouldn't happen to two of my
tires in 3,500 miles and I am interested to see how many other S4 owners have had a
similar occurance. Let me know you thoughts on how best to address/resolve this
problem.
Old 02-07-2000, 06:08 PM
mpm

in changing over to the snows I found a golf ball sized bulge. Called the dealer, I'll let you know