S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Bye-bye Samco TBB...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 07:24 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bye-bye Samco TBB...

...it served me better than OEM for 2.5 years. After it popped off a month or so ago, I tightened it tighter than I had previously. But yet it popped off again last night, hence my plea for a bipipe. Since my car was hot and it was getting dark, I figured I would just put it back on this morning. I do that (tightenting even tighter than last time) and drive out of the neighborhood, get some gas and pull out of the gas station heading toward work. But a few yards later, it pops off again so I just head back home. I take the whole thing off this time and it's starting to fall apart on the inside. The silicone is worn off around the area where it fits up to the throttle body and a stringy piece of silicone is coming loose. So I toss it aside and pull out a new spare OEM TBB. I'm on that today -- I'm sure it will hold for a little while, and it darn sure fits better than that Samco did.

I sure hope whoever with Audi that designed the POS TBB lost their job. I can't believe the headache that part has caused me (multiplied times thousands of people and probably hundreds (or more) of blown turbos).
Old 07-23-2003, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about MTM brace?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:37 AM

Default Why bi-pipe may I ask? I think I'm ordering the following..

From hoppen MTM -

MTM TBB
MTM F-pipe
MTM/Bosch 100 BPVs

I was looking a little at the samco and saw it had fitment issues. The MTM TBB is wicked expensive for what it is but a lot of people seem to like it, maybe I should just go with the bipipe and the other MTM parts.

Do you have a writeup or anything for doing the swap outs on the TBB and BPVs, FPipe and etc?

I know this part is a bitch, my S sounds like it has a BOV right now (I think it's my BPVs) but I am chipped so I am going to replace the whole 9 yards for peace (or piece ) of mind.

thanks and good luck!

Jared
Old 07-23-2003, 07:43 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default Because whatever MTM is offering is just a bigger band aid than the Samco offerings...

...and I'm sick of band aids. The bipipe is a solution, not a band aid.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had an MTM TBB - the red one...worked fine.....

Fitment is awesome (made from the factory mold) - I just sick of wondering whether or not is was broken - one slight decrease in performance for 1/2 second, I'd wonder.

Bi-pipe cures this issue - the only real problem I see with the bi-pipe is that it certainly does not look stock.

In my opinion, if you're out of warranty or don't care about stock appearance the bi-pipe is a one time fix and you're done.

If you need to stay "stock" appearing, the MTM black one is the only way to go.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree completely - I gave away my Samco after it popped off...

twice - great noise when it pops off isn't it!!!

Anyway, I then wnet with the MTM (red one) and then got so sick and tired of wondering if the thing was broken or not that I just got the bi-pipe....I should have gotten it to begin with..

It is the perfect solution!
Old 07-23-2003, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I have the bipipe and I think I'd still rather have the MTM. The bipipe is a bitch to put on, and

I'm not keen on having those bolts into the throttle body holding the bipipe there. I pushed it on as best I could, I still needed to use the bolts to torque it down. It is a good solution, albeit one that doesn't fit all that well.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default You're wasting your money buying the "MTM" BPV's. Just go to your dealer and get the 710N valves

for less. You can also get the 110 valves (exact same as the MTM valves and 710N valves) from a Saab dealer.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I am switching to the bi-pipe this weekend. I'm not afraid to admit the reason why either...

Piggie said "Bipipe is the ultimate" Nuff said.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good point.

Quick Reply: Bye-bye Samco TBB...