S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Calling BLK01S4 and other Stage 3 TIPs...some serious problems and I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling BLK01S4 and other Stage 3 TIPs...some serious problems and I need some help

K so let's see. I have an 01 Tip with straight KO4's, ASP intake spacers, heat coated Custom Exhaust Manis, coated piggie pipes, UUC VM3, ported and polished intake manifold, hyperboost DV's, RS4 motor mounts, ABD intake and big bore pipe, GIAC tip chip, AFPR with gauge, REVO software with SPS3. And a fully built trans with TC and trans cooler from IPT.

That's what I have now here are some other things you should know. I am still on the stock MAF, stock IC's, original stock fuel injectors and the car has 114K on the clock.

Here is what is going on:
The car runs pretty bad, the tach flutters more than normal both at idle and when driving to the point that you can hear the engine revving up and down at all times. Also my boost curve is all messed up, it jumps all over the place going from 22psi to 10 to 15 and sometimes into 5 and limp mode. Sounds like I am shooting flames right out the exhaust constantly and when it feels like that the power feels like it is going out with the flames. Also I can't gun it past the kickpoint otherwise it'll put both the engine and trans into limp mode so I gotta pull over and restart. I know that the trans is strong cause it doesn't slip at all, feels strong. The engine also feels like it has a ton of power but not smooth and the two don't seem to be working well together. I think the problems are a combination of software and maybe my injectors being so worn but not sure exactly so I need some advice. I will provide more info soon as I think of it but right now I can't stand driving it, my TT is more fun right now and that's not cool.

Another thing spoke with Dahlback and explained this they say that once I go with fueling that everything will be smooth and no more problems, also say not to switch to new injectors till I can go with full fueling otherwise I'll be in limp mode all the time, which seems wrong but not sure. MTM says that something else seems to be the problem and is waiting for me to scan the car and tell them what the codes are and go from there.

Now what do the proven experts have to say? I know that you guys are happy with your cars and the way they run so please help me get to that point as well.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Im no expert, but I would say your software is the problem and dont bring it all the way to the...

shiftpoint bc that transmission limp mode feeling makes your heart drop. How do I know? b/c it has happened to me =), scared the **** out of me the first time. I didn't know what it was and I thought my transmission dropped on the road.

I work around it now, and it works well even better since the K03's die at high RPMS. I usually shift a little above +- 5800-6000 in Tip Mode when I'm pushing it.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:22 AM

Default I'm not really a huge fan of what I've seen out of REVO as far as logs but have no personal exp.

with their code but I've never seen their code have boost fluctuations like that. There could potentially be a problem with your wastegate control (N75 valve, actuators, or lines) or it could be throttle cutting from overboost due to boost leaks. If you could get us some codes that'd help diagnosis a bunch.

The TCU/ECU going into limp mode is a result of everyones modified engine code raising the rev limiter, and as such generates an overrev code in the TCU. This seems to occur more on StgIII cars since the engine has more power and runs the gear out quicker than the trans can shift. This may be rectified soon with some modified TCU code that people are working on, but unfortunately there is no fix yet.

As far as fueling, you may want to consider a custom tune ala ASP or EPL. Tony@EPL has expressed interest in taking on a TIP project and I'm going to him when I get my turbnads in.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My thoughts:I agree with s4orce in that alot is your software/ lack of stage 3

fueling (injectors, maf, etc...)

The kickdown problem is due to the software in the TCU not being able to switch gears fast enough and you are going into TCU limp mode.

AW member VR_Life is working on a possible fix for this, as are a few custom tooning shops IIRC.

What I would do is get the fueling issue worked out first and not hit the kickdown switch.

Then once you have the engine running top notch work on the Tip.

The ECU and TCU "communicate" back and forth so your engine not running correctly COULD (50/50 shot) also have something to do with the TCU limp mode.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:41 AM

Default Hey can we get some details about your IPT trans? Did you do the TC as well?

You're one of the few IPT's I've seen, wondering how your experience was.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

^^Haha I was thinking the same thing^^ IPT details please
Old 03-10-2007, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've heard better things about IPT than L10.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:51 AM

Default to be honest none of info you have given can lead us to help you we need logs....

to really see whats going on but it really seems like its in your ecu software
Old 03-10-2007, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default how can you be stage 3 when you have stock MAF and injectors?

Or is that how REVO does it?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:10 AM

Yeah not a fan REVO

Quick Reply: Calling BLK01S4 and other Stage 3 TIPs...some serious problems and I need some help