S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Can anyone confirm that the side curtain airbags are safe for small children in the back?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-1999, 05:07 AM
Jeff

Can anyone confirm that the side curtain airbags are safe for small children in the back?
Old 10-25-1999, 05:09 AM
Tom Weiland

Default Re: Can anyone confirm that the side curtain airbags are safe for small children in the back?

No one really nows for sure, but common sense tells you that as long as you belt your kids in, it sure can't hurt to have them bump into a 5" cushion, instead of glass, in the event of a rollover.
Old 10-25-1999, 05:27 AM
Jeff

Default Thanks, but don't they deploy on side impact too? (more)

My salesman is telling me that only the side bags which come out directly next to the seat in back have been targeted as unsafe for small kids. I agree that it sounds good to shield a child from the breaking glass from side windows I think that they should be better than not having them. Currently, I have my son in a car seat in the middle of the back, but that is a big M-B-ML which handles 3 across. I can't do that in the S4, so...
Old 10-25-1999, 05:44 AM
Tristan

Default Per owners manual...

the head airbags deploy in the event of a side impact. However, all airbags on board each operate with their own set of guidelines for deployment. So, in some cases, the sides and head and fronts will deploy, while in others only the sides and fronts and every other combo... at least this is what I gathered from manual.
Good luck,
Tristan '00 S4
Old 10-25-1999, 05:58 AM
AJN

I have them in my 99, after a total of a 96 would not buy a new car w/o every safety option posible
Old 10-25-1999, 06:09 AM
Jeff

How did the car/people fare in the crash?
Old 10-25-1999, 06:21 AM
S4andy

Here is the exact quote from manual (confusing). . .
Old 10-25-1999, 06:29 AM
S4andy

Default Re: Here is the exact quote from manual (confusing). . . (oops)

"The head airbags will not inflate. . .
- if the ignition is switched off
- in frontal collisions
- in side collisions in which vehicle deceleration in not high enough
- in rear collisions
- in rollovers"

The confusing part is that the head airbags are advertised as staying inflated for up to 5 seconds to protect passengers in the event of a rollover accident. How can they do this if they don't deploy during rollovers?

Sandy
Old 10-25-1999, 07:39 AM
loreon

Default I know what you are getting at...

I had the same thought but seeing as most kids ought to be strapped into their car seats or belted in properly when they are older, I don't see how the bags can be a serious threat.

From the news images I saw of the side bag testing, the child sized dummies that were used were NOT belted in and were physically resting against the doors prior to impact. I don't think it's possible for a kid to be positioned comfortably in that manner in a real life situation for any length of time. Particularly if they are asleep.

In an ideal world, I would sooner opt for the following set up: Driver has a four point harness and side airbag only, while the rest or the passengers are protected by as many airbags as possible/practical/effective.

My $0.02.