S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Can i use 3M swirl remover and follow by Zaino? Or, Use 3M after Zaino?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can i use 3M swirl remover and follow by Zaino? Or, Use 3M after Zaino?
Old 01-14-2002, 09:47 PM

Default I wouldn't mix the two. Zaino has a swirl remover.

I've used Zaino for awhile now. It works good, not sure if it's for everyone, because of the many steps.

Before using Zaino you should STRIP existing wax completely.
Old 01-15-2002, 04:32 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I would use the 3M before the Zaino.

The 3M swirl remover is an abrasive. Use it to cut down the clear coat and remove your swirls. Zaino would probably suggest washing the car with dishwashing soap to remove any residue, then begin the Zaino process.

I regularly use 3M Machine Glaze or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, and then follow with Z1, and as many coats of Z2 that I wish. I've had great success with this.

Applying the 3M after the Zaino would effectively strip the Zaino from the surface of the paint. Also, Zaino does sell a swirl remover (Z5), but it is a filler, not an abrasive. You'll need several layers of Z5 with adequate curing time between each layer in order to fill moderate or deeper swirls. You'll have to decided how bad the swirls are, then decide which approach you want to take to get rid of them...hide them with a filler, or attempt to remove them with an abrasive. Peronally, I would try the filler first, and see how far that gets you. Of course, with a filler, you'll periodically have to reapply it to continue hiding the swirls.
Old 01-15-2002, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good info, I didn't know that Z5 was a filler. Does it mater what kind of wax I put on top of it?

Black always has scratches on it and I'd love to cover it up. I really like the Meguiar's Medallion wax I've been using. It's very glossy so I don't have to use any glaze or anything to bring out the shine.

TIA,

-st
Old 01-15-2002, 07:03 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Zaino doesn't recommend using carnauba with their products.

I haven't tried it, mostly because their instructions are so careful to have you strip all the old wax on your car before you apply their products.

If you're using carnauba wax, have you tried the 3M glazes? Personally, I'm not too crazy about Z5. It might be that I haven't mastered how to use it...or that you don't get results immediately (you need multiple layers with curing time in between for maximum effect).
Old 01-15-2002, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I actually don't want to take anymore clearcoat off. I had super deep swirls when I got the car

from the dealer. They are 70% removed after two professional detailing sessions and I would prefer to simply cover up the rest. Thanks for the info and any further advice if you have it.

-st
Old 01-15-2002, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Okay to put carnauba on top.. .but on the Z2 and not Z5 or Z1.

I've used Zaino and Klasse with great effect on my cars for a year now. Both work great. As for Zaino, it's made to be a system of sorts, with the z5 and z1 providing a "catalyst/cleaning" effect prior to the application of the polymer coating. z5 or z1 by itself has no protective or reflective qualities really.

3m swirl remover is advocated by Sal Zaino himself, and many Zaino users I know use it all the time. You'll have to wash teh car after the 3m SR to remove oils leftover from those products. Those oils might interfere with the Zaino process.

Finally, I've used caranuaba on top of Zaino and it works, but in my opinion the gains are not worth the cost. Zaino can be layered infinitely, but needs to be completely cleaned before layering. Thus, a layer of carnuaba will deter a new layer of Zaino z2 from being applied.

HTH
Old 01-15-2002, 10:42 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I would find a single panel, and work the whole Zaino process on it, over a month.

Yeah, a month. It's a pain in the ***, but that will give you at least 4 good coats of the stuff to judge if there is enough effect to switch over. You don't want to do the whole car, and find out in a month that you're not happy with the results.

Worse case, you're out $30 in Zaino supplies (well, not really, read below), and you have to clean and re-wax the trunk.

What I would do is clean up the panel completely (clay bar routine and IHG), then apply a coat of Z1, Z2 and Z5 (see website www.zainobros.com for application order). Buff, wait a week, rewash the panel to prepare for coat #2 (Z5/Z2). For the following two weeks, repeat that last procedure. Then stop, and wash weekly for the next four weeks and see how it holds up.

Now, if you want, I can send you a "kit" of Zaino stuff (Z1, Z2, Z5, and Z6). You pay for shipping both ways, and if you're only doing a small test panel like the trunk, you won't use much at all, so I don't mind. If you don't like the results, then you won't be out the ~$45 that Zaino charges for those products. When you're done, mail it back to me. I've got plenty of their stuff on hand, and I'm not doing any detailing until spring.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey man, just got this - been out of town.

Thanks for the offer but I won't be able to do anything until summer either. I don't even have a garage ; ( I'll probably give it a shot on an area with some noticeable swirl marks. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again for the info.

-st