S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Can someone tell me the difference between forged and cast alloy wheels??? TIA

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me the difference between forged and cast alloy wheels??? TIA
Old 02-19-2003, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I always thought...

forged = stamped in metal under pressure (hyd. ram)

cast alloy = hot metal poured into a mold
Old 02-19-2003, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Forged = from a block of aluminum, Cast = molded like plastic

Thats about it, Forged are usually stronger or so I think.

-Phil
Old 02-19-2003, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

about $300
Old 02-19-2003, 09:50 AM

Forged wheels are generally stronger and lighter but more expensive
Old 02-19-2003, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NO! read inside

forging: can be done to any metal not just aluminum, forging is the process of shaping metal through compressive forces. (i.e. blacksmith making swords)

casting: pouring metal into a premade mold (which must not melt due to heat of the poured metal) metal is then cooled and removed.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget about "spin casting". But is a cheap forging better than a high quality casting?
Old 02-19-2003, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default wow, then fuchs must have been a bitch to forge, ever see the thickness of them

the spokes are thick and really rounded, Cant imagine how many PSI it took to make those.

-Phil
Old 02-19-2003, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

forging is $$ for low quantities.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:44 AM

Default It's almost like a different materiel (detail and opinions inside)

A forging CAN be stronger for the same weight, lighter for the same strength, or anywhere in between. No guarantees on any given product, that depends on how well they (individually)were made.

Semi-technical why:

Metals are not completely uniform, they are made of grains. The grains themselves are much stronger than the boundaries between the grains. This means that under sufficient stress, the grain boundaries will separate MUCH easier than the grains themselves will fracture. When molten metal is cast (solidifies) the grains are formed and are relatively uniformly shaped in all directions. Stress is any direction will be able to find grain boundaries lined up with it to work on.

Forging metal squishes the grains. They are then lined up and very long and thin and most important, somewhat interlocked. Proper design will mean that the grain boundaries will not line up with the forces acting on them to make the metal very strong (in comparison to cast).

The differences can depend on the metal chosen (some benefit more from forging than others) and how it was done.

Cast metal is more subject to imperfections(tiny holes, stuff that's not supposed to be there, etc.) Forging minimizes these.

Opinions:
If you are buying for appearance, buy based on looks(duh).

If you are buying for performance, buy what racers put on their cars for racing on rough roads. Don't put "Formula 1" wheels on a street car. Formula 1 wheels don't hit potholes and are regularly inspected and replaced every year. I would look at Rally racing or something similar for good performing, tough wheels.

I'm currently collecting formulae to try to put the math to the discussion on how important light weight might be to a street car. I love light weight, but am unconvinced as to whether it matters on a 2 ton street car.

Quick Reply: Can someone tell me the difference between forged and cast alloy wheels??? TIA