S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

A car salesman nis a car salesman is a...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2000, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A car salesman nis a car salesman is a...

I ordered two (2) cars a cpuple of days ago. He tells me the 1.8tq will be a 2001 and will be in in 3 to 5 months. He tells me that maybe he can get the S4 in a week but writes the order for a 2001 vehicle. Otherwise it will also be 3 to 5 months.

I called him yesterday and told him NOT to scrounge a 2000 S4 for a couple of reasons, one of which was that I wanted the extra year of warrantee that comes with 2001 cars.

Now, here it comes (he wants his money NOW)...
He called me back to say that he talked to his manager and that my request was OK but.... first, the 2001 cars may not have a 4 year warrantee. I replied that that would be fine, I still want a 2001 car. He then said that there was no guarantee that a car ordered now would be a 2001 car. I replied that they begin 2001 production next week. He said that the S4 is special and may not have a year designation change until later in the production run. I said I still want the car ordered.

A car salesman is a car salesman is a...
Old 04-25-2000, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A car salesman nis a car salesman is a...

time to find a new dealer...you're the one footing the bill! get what you want!
Old 04-25-2000, 05:45 AM

Default Re: A car salesman nis a car salesman is a...

I went shopping for my S4 about a month ago. Talked to the dealer, test drove (WEEEEEE-HAAAAA!), said I wanted to order. Got the usual "We DON'T discount S4s, Sir." Shopped around for a bit, got a discount elsewhere (but I didn't really want to drive that far to get it) and used that as leverage to get a modest discount. Probably could have done better if I worked harder at it, but I don't care that much about another couple of hundred bucks off financed over 5 years.

So now, trying to find my S4 with the color and options I want, nothing came up right away. My current car runs fine, so I thought, I'll just order what I want. Then the thought came up, maybe I should wait for the 2001 model year (ESP--my friend's got a similar thing on his 540 and said that it's already saved his a$$ a few times, newer MY means slightly better resale value down the road, info about the warranty hadn't surfaced at the time). Talked to the dealer and asked, "Hey should I wait for the 2001 MY?" Response... "Wellll.... you don't need ESP unless you plan on driving up and down the mountains in Colorado. And, if you put your order in right now, we're not even expecting the 2001s until like September." Didn't want to wait that long, so I told them to keep searching.

After a couple more days of searching, dealer came back: "Well, Sir, we could not find your exact car anywhere within our trade area, so good news! We put your order in for a 2001, and we expect those to be in by June!"

A dealer is is a dealer is ....

]:8) D
'01 Nogaro/Silver
C status (argh! didn't realize how impatient I actually am!)
Old 04-25-2000, 07:47 AM

Default you should ask for a program to follow the song&dance routine!!.....

once i was ready to buy, as a "prospect", i got answers and call-backs WITH PROMISES, in minutes.
once i ordered a car, i couldn't get ANYONE to be straight with me. that was after several msgs and NO call-backs!!
i kept up my search (more on that in a second) and found exactly what i wanted. in both the car AND a salesman with some integrity!!!! [i know that last part seems far-fetched!]

"The Search" {a great old Pat Metheny Group tune}:
i live in Denver. there are total of 4 Audi dealers in the state. 2 in town.
because of the demand for S's here, i was told that no one would deal. i was so far down on a search list that i knew i would never get a dealer to search with the same interests and concern as I would.

AudiWorld and the Internet:
search the classifieds here. there are some dealers that advertise S's there. i've met Ken from McDonald Audi... he is a great guy, and is as into these cars as we are!
S's are not as popular in some other areas of the country. (must be the water there!) transport, shipping the car (OR you to it) can be worked out.
(i don't know where you are, but....) i did Yellow Page lookup and call of Audi dealers in cities i would drive a car back from [for me, that was Salt Lake, Alburquerque, Vegas, Phoenix, ....].
in the end, a sales guy in Colorado Springs remembered my specs, and called me telling me he had just had a buyer back-out of a car he ordered with everything (color [Santorin] and packages) i wanted. only diff; it has Alcantera Onyx/Silver interior, and didn't have CD changer. i like the Alcantera now that i have it, and i installed the changer (that i fould someone selling here!)
so there is the twisted input from a known winder.