S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Car Titles..and insuring a car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Titles..and insuring a car...

Can I transfer a title of a car to a family member and have them insure the car? I ask this because I am leaving the country and want to transfer ownership to my brother so he can insure the car. Are there legal or tax issues?
Old 09-17-2001, 02:49 PM

Default you can sell it to him for $1 as long as the documentation is done correctly

a friend of mine did this...of course it may be different in other states. I'm in Colorado.

And this won't work if the car is leased or financed still.
Old 09-17-2001, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Car Titles..and insuring a car...

In california you can transfer the title to a
family memeber for $15. They have a special
form for this at the DMV

mihai
01 Silver S4 6sp.
Old 09-17-2001, 03:03 PM

Default What state? - here's the skinny for Washington

I'm sure this varies from state to state, but I just did this in Washington. You are alowed to transfer (gift) a car once to a familiy member. Since you are giving it to them, there is no sales tax (Use Tax) liability to the reciever.

From the www.wa.gov website:
What if I receive the vehicle as a gift?

As long as the person giving you the vehicle has paid Washington sales or use tax, you won't pay use tax. Proof that sales/use tax was paid by the giftor is required unless they have owned the vehicle for six or more years.

Example: Your parents decide to give you a car they've been driving for the past six years when you turn 18. Because they have owned it for six years, you will not need to provide proof of previous sales or use tax paid. So when you go to transfer the title, you won't have to pay a use tax if you provide a statement from your parents that they gave you the car.

However, if you give a gifted vehicle to someone else, use tax would be due on the second transaction.

More info at the provided link.<ul><li><a href="http://www.wa.gov/dol/vehicles/usetaxavsqa.htm#gift">http://www.wa.gov/dol/vehicles/usetaxavsqa.htm#gift</a</li></ul>
Old 09-17-2001, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Car Titles..and insuring a car...

There are a number of things that you must take into account. As TWalker eluded to, if you financed or leased the car, then your brother has to refinance it himself in order to transfer title. If you own the car outright, then just transfer the title, you don't even need money to change hands, it's considered a gift. However, if you just want him to drive it, and be insured on it, then just call up the insurance company and add him on to your policy. I just did this with a Civic that I owned. I'm giving it to my brother-in-law, but he can't pay for it yet. The car is still in my name, but he is insured to drive it. And this applies in CA, not sure about other states, but they're probably similar.
Old 09-17-2001, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you "sell" it you may have to pay taxes again... Look into transfers..
Old 09-17-2001, 03:38 PM

Default some states allow a no-charge transfer between family members

My A4 was "sold" to my parents, but in California there's no sales tax on transfers between immediate family members. We had no problems and no additional costs (didn't even have to do a smog check).