S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

CB radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB radio

This is getting back to a brief discussion from a few weeks ago... I bought a couple hand held CB's from Midland just to try them and took them on a trip last week. Basically inside the car they have zero range, both for receiving and trasmitting. And these units had a full 4-watts of power, so basically that's not going to work.

My idea was that I'd have a way to talk to friends caravaning with me in other cars on a trip for example, and then still be able to listen into the truckers to find out where the cops and accidents are without having the ugly external antennae and bulky unit in the car. Does anyone know if marine, FRS, or even commercial (e.g. those Motorola radios at work) frequencies would be any better? I realize that the "cage" of the car causes significant interference and that the only real solution is an external antennae, but by the same token, cell phones work in cars so there definitely are frequencies that will work.

Regardless, I guess I'm thinking about getting a standard CB for the S4 then. Anyone here a CB fanatic? I'd like to know what the best units are and how people mount them inside the vehicle. Also, I'd like to find a way to mount an external antennae that you can hide when you're not using it (aren't there some "flip-down" models that go inside the trunk? I'd rather not have the hardmounted whip antennae or magnetic mount (no way to avoid scratches right?). Are their smaller antennaes that work OK and still look decent (e.g. like the small external cell phone antennaes with the coil in the middle)? Or what about outfitting the car with a telescoping antennae like most have for AM/FM reception? Also, does anyone know if the shielding on CB radios has gotten better, or do you still have to run the power directly from the battery?

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2001, 06:57 AM
Jay
Audiworld Junior Member

Default FRS radios work fairly well...

We used them on a group mountain ride in October, and they worked pretty well up to about 1/2 mile from inside the car. If you get them, I would definitely recommend getting headsets, as it is hard to find a place to put the radio where you can hear and manage it.
Old 05-31-2001, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What I do-->

I've got a basic Radio Shack unit (forget the model #, but it cost $79.95, so it's a decent unit)
and a trunk lip antenna (magnet mount won't stay on at over 90 mph, and will scratch your trunk)
I cut a thin piece of cloth and wrapped it around the edge of the trunk, where the antenna will mount. I mount the antenna at the base of the rear window, just be sure to remove the mast when you open the trunk all the way, so you don't hit the roof with it.
I take the radio, and slide it between the passenger seat and the center console (I'm not drilling any holes in my car) Use the cigarette lighter for power, and you're done.
I get great range with the radio (about 7-8 miles in the city) and about 15-20 miles on the open road. Nothing beats the use of a good CB with a competent radar detector.
As far as the combination antennae, they don't work so good. Best bet is to get a regular 'ol low rise trunk lip mount.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Agree ... FRS ("TalkAbouts") are great for group drives, but ...

You obviously can't pick up, or communicate with, CB traffic ... so no tapping into the trucker network for "Smokey" alerts. : )

And, depending on the terrain (e.g. hilly vs. flat), FRS handsets will range up to a couple miles.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cobra makes a "concealed" CB...

Basically, all the controlls are built into an oversized mic, and everything else is in a remote module that you can hide under a seat or in the glove box. Kenwood might also make such a unit.

As far as antennas, unfortunately CBs are dependent on them for range and small, clean, and effective designs are rare.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:19 AM

Default Only problem is...

everyone's freakin' got 'em these days. Take them to any amusement park, on a cruise, whatever, and this is what you'll hear on every channel: "Dad? Daaaaaaad! Are you there? Mom? Mooooommmmm! Are you there? Heeeeelllloooooo! Beep beep beep! Heeeelloooooo! Beep beep beep!" Grrrr.

GMRS is a little more exclusive, but not by much. People are buying these radios and using them without a license. I threw in the towel on both FRS and GMRS. At least most CBers are courteous users of the airwaves. 2M HAM is another option worth looking into if you want get more hardcore. Me? Well if my cell phone doesn't work somewhere, it's time to start sending smoke signals -- or yelling really loud.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:24 AM

Default But one more thing...

I guess if caravaning is all you want to do, the added power of GMRS (over FRS) would be useful to get slightly better range. Plus, since you're on the go, you shouldn't have a lot of outsiders jumping in on your conversation.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But with the multiple coding available on mid- to high-end FRS ...

... you can filter out most traffic. 14 channels, and like 40 codes per channel on TalkAbouts, insure you find waves to call your own. Unless there's a mix of units in the group, since not everyone has coding capability. : (
Old 05-31-2001, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to add the Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mud flaps
Old 05-31-2001, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I prefer the mud flaps with chrome silhouette of busty naked chick. ;-)

Quick Reply: CB radio