S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Chip for 91 Octane, which works better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real ABT, or AMS ABT?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default how do i tell? it's got a little ABT logo on it, like you mentioned. i thought

all ABT in the US were AMS/ABT?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This is the million$ question, aparently AMS programmed their own chip but sold as ABT, not sure...

if they labeled it as ABT, or as AMS?

At some point where ABT departed from AMS, AMS confessed that the chip was made by them, and not by ABT, but they had a license to resell ABT... not sure if that means to just freely use the logo as well?!?!

Anyone has an answer?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leave it to an old timer like me to tell the story I guess.....Edited.

From what I understand: AMS was the authorized distributor/dealer for ABT here in the US, but the actual ABT programing was tuned for fuel with great than 91 Octane, Marc/AMS had to refine/tune the program to suit the crappy fuel sold here on the West Coast. Later on ABT and AMS parted ways which means that AMS is no longer able to use the ABT label on their ECUs. So to sum it all up, AMS programing is all AMS but based on ABT's programing

And to answer your question about which ECU, AMS was known to have one of the best 91 octane programings, however, IMHO, their f/u customer program is terrible when it comes time to upgrading to either Stage IV (A.K.A. Stage 3 Minus by most) or Stage V (A.K.A. Stage 3 by GIAC/APR) as AMS will charge you a huge amount of money for it. So, my suggestion is that if you do not plan on going over a Stage II Plus setup, AMS is worth looking into. However, if K04s are in your future plan, then I would look to either GIAC or APR.

PS: I know nothing about Revo or ASP as they can be considered as new comers as oppose to the above mentioned ABT/AMS/MTM/APR/GIAC.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default AMS program based on ABT program :) Question is, did they use ABT logo or AMS? meaning...

Is there an ACTUAL ABT program for US/Canada in the market? So, if I see something on vortex or ebay with "ABT" logo on it... how do I know if it's AMS/ABT hybrid programing or ABT alone?

Thnx
Old 04-13-2007, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default i think he's saying it's all the hybrid. any ABT dealers you can ask? and then

there's talk of newer revisions to the code which you'll find people to both agree with and deny.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Today's ABT is ABT and AMS is AMS. But before they part ways, ABT=AMS.....

How does the program differ today, I have no idea.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am trying to find out about ABT dealers, just dont know how to tell if a used ECU is ABT or AMS?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default if someone wants to describe chips in one or two words (searched a lot),would the following be true?

GIAC: Most powerful, most tunable, not as smooth
APR: Medium power, relaitvely smooth, good features
AMS: More power than APR for 91 Octane, smooth
MTM: Not as popular, not as powerfule as AMS for 91octane, smoothest
ABT: not much known about

Right? that is based on hours of searching in archives. One back to back dyno showed relatively smoothness of all and that's how I based the above on...
Old 04-13-2007, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Am very happy W/APR v5 both stage 1 and 2

Nice and smooth, k03's are happy too (damn it!)

Quick Reply: Chip for 91 Octane, which works better?