S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Chip wars, my thinking on the matter, for what it is worth. ie, not a lot(long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-1999, 01:41 PM
del

Default Chip wars, my thinking on the matter, for what it is worth. ie, not a lot(long)

I feel that there is, will be little or no difference performance wise between the various chips. There is only so much you can do, and 1/10 of a second from chip to chip is statistically insigificant to me.

I am more concerned with, reputation, customer service, and accountability.

I chose APR in large part because Brett and Stephen post in this forum, and answer questions. I appreciate that level of committment, or marketing savy, whatever you want to call it. When I call APR on the phone, they answer, the answer emails, although not that quickly.

Until someone shows me that chip manufacturer XX.YY.ZZ has a chip that is like 5/10ths of a second faster, or whatnot, I see no reason to regret my purchase from APR.

I like the way the car drives with the chip, the A$$ dyno tells me it is faster, especially over 3K RPM's and in 5th and 6th. We can do a big test of all the chips, so that someone could make a more informed decision based on performance. I can't forsee results that would make me feel I made the wrong decision. IE, a chip that was soooo much better that it just required everyone purchase that chip.
Old 12-21-1999, 02:48 PM
Boss Hogg

Default Congratulations to you. I for one am happy that you enjoy your chip. My gut instinct

also causes me to agree with you that there is really little difference performance wise with all the chips. I am cautious by nature, and wait because I want to see more information and selection from different vendors. That being said, customer service will probably be the final deciding factor for me in the end.
Old 12-21-1999, 02:49 PM
RM

Default Everyone has an opinion, but I did post timed runs.

I tested both of these chips in the same car with timed runs. I sent the post and results to the review section about two weeks ago but it has not shown up. I suspect it will not since my results showed the MTM chip to be considerably quicker. A lot more that 1/10 of a second. I know my testing methods could be better, but the difference was dramatic. Also in APR's defense, I was told that the chip I had has been upgraded since and I have not timed a car with the new upgrade.
Old 12-21-1999, 02:53 PM
del

Default The key thing is that you are happy with your choice. I am happy with mine.

APR's timely and informed response to the cruise issue, reinforces my decision to go with their chip. I might feel differently if I had purchased the first rev of their chip.

The only thing that will put this to bed, or even close is a comparison between the various chips on the same car.

So RM, where do you live? If you are in CA, lets go to the track and work this out.
Old 12-21-1999, 03:01 PM
Scott W

Boss Hogg: Please e-mail me, I've got a few questions I need answered (offline) TIA
Old 12-21-1999, 07:40 PM
S4andy

Default One of things the Colorado get-together taught me is that you may not be right. . .

Here what I mean: I always assumed, as you do, that there would be, at most, modest differences between the chips (once the initial bugs are worked out). However, at the Colorado get-tegether this past Sunday, I met a bunch of fairly experinced A4 modifiers. They felt that there were major differences between the 1.8T chips. Now since I'm new to 'modern' Audi's I'm not up on the 1.8T chip data. For all I know this is just more A-Dyno BS, much like we've seen here (I don't discount this type of data. . .it's all we've got until a real comparison takes place (if ever)).

On the other hand, if real comparison data exists showing significant differences between the 1.8T chips, why wouldn't there be similar differences between S4 chips?? And the differences may not mean that one chip is better than the others, just that they were tuned with different philosophies (ie, highest peak HP, highest torque, better low end torque, smoother overall acceleration, rocket when the turbos kick in, etc.)

Just my $.02

Sandy
'00 S4 No chip