S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Clogged sunroof drain

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clogged sunroof drain

Would a clogged sunroof drain plug cause more than usual inside windshield condensation/moisture? Passenger side carpet is still a little wet, haven't had a chance to extract it yet. Just seems there is a good amount of moisture on the windshield in the mornings now. Defroster isn't taking care of it. Could use a towel to wipe it. Some times even drips down the whole windshield to were the dash meets it. TIA
Old 10-08-2010, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Audi/VW actually settled a lawsuit about this not too long ago. I got something in the mail IIRC...anyway, apparently yes, a clogged drain can cause water to leak into the car - I'm not saying this is the reason for your water/condensation problems, but it is a possible candidate if your sunroof drain is clogged.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by donromani
Audi/VW actually settled a lawsuit about this not too long ago. I got something in the mail IIRC...anyway, apparently yes, a clogged drain can cause water to leak into the car - I'm not saying this is the reason for your water/condensation problems, but it is a possible candidate if your sunroof drain is clogged.
Went to vaccuum out the car and the whole passenger side back floor is soakin wet!!! Wet vac is working overtime.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just bought my S4 in the summer of '09,
and almost immediately received notification of this law suit (after registering it in Texas).
Regardless, I never had a problem with the sunroof drainage.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh yeah, that's the sunroof then.

Try taking it to the dealership and mention you know about the lawsuit. There's a tiny chance they will do the sunroof service for free, and they might cover any water damage as well.

You might need paperwork or something, but I'm banking on that they'll just roll over and do it. The settlement money is already in escrow for this kind of thing, so it's not like it will cost the dealership directly.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 149 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by donromani
Oh yeah, that's the sunroof then.

Try taking it to the dealership and mention you know about the lawsuit. There's a tiny chance they will do the sunroof service for free, and they might cover any water damage as well.

You might need paperwork or something, but I'm banking on that they'll just roll over and do it. The settlement money is already in escrow for this kind of thing, so it's not like it will cost the dealership directly.
The dealership is not going to do anything for free for this, just like any other service. The class-action does not involve them. It's for the owners of the vehicles. YOU pay for service, submit the claims for money, and maybe sometime in the distant future will get a refund from the class-action administrator.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JLoft
The dealership is not going to do anything for free for this, just like any other service. The class-action does not involve them. It's for the owners of the vehicles. YOU pay for service, submit the claims for money, and maybe sometime in the distant future will get a refund from the class-action administrator.
Gotcha. Good to know - I thought this only applied to the people who had already had payed for the damages before the settlement. I do know that Audi added the sunroof drain service to the regular maintenance schedule for all the audi/vw models affected.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q5 Audi clogged sunroof drain pipes

Do you know the Law Firm that settled the lawsuit for the Audi clogged sunroof drain pipes?