S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Clutch issues.. need input.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issues.. need input.

I have a vast ceramic disk, resurfaced flywheel and rs4 pp.. 6500 miles on the setup. cars sat for about a month or 2 maybe driven it 2-3 days in that time period. clutch has been flawless till today.. took it out tonight with the intent of maybe getting a few races in.. seemed fine, but I thought for a second that it was engaging low in the travel for a minute, but decided it was me as I havent driven it in awhile.

Drove around for a awhile, ate dinner, met some friends, and took someone for a quick ride.. all seemed fine, then I went to show him an AWD launch. clutch slipped with my normal 3500 rpm launch on the upswing...

Directly after it would not go into gear with the car on. Turned off, put in gear, started, clutch is slightly engaged with it on the floor.

decide to limp home, by the time I get home its back to being "normal" but engaging just off the floor.

I am assuming my PP is toast, but is there a chance my clutch needs to be bled?

ive killed an rs4 pp setup, and now this vast ceramic/rs4 pp setup all in less the 10k miles for both since going stage 3. is there any clutch out there that can last and hold the power + be able to take the occasional track day? I thought this vast setup was the ticket, but less then 7k miles isnt going to cut it.

getting tired of putting clutches in the thing...
Old 10-07-2006, 09:29 PM

Default 12K+ miles so far on my VAST clutch which inludes numerous track events, FATS pulls, hard shifts....

but no launches.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shocking

Old 10-08-2006, 12:14 AM

Default My SAC had moved a bit after about 2k miles and I had one similar situ. where it slipped and then...

would not engage for a minute. After one hour all was fine again and it did not slip next launch. I blew my clutch line and its such a PITA I desided to pull my motor.

Adjusting the SAC was much easier than I ever thought so it should be done if there is even slight movement before installing. I think mine was a little bit moved even though piggie adjusts them before shipment, but we all know how the shipping is : (

This time I tightened the SAC spring all the way so I hope it makes it even better.

I already ordered VAST balanced LWFW for my next motor.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:19 AM

how is your fluid level? If ok, try beeding. Might also leak coolant over clutch?
Old 10-08-2006, 05:22 AM

kevlar of cermaic?
Old 10-08-2006, 05:29 AM

The SAC was set correctly. Mike marked the alignment and was triple quadruple checked pior to instal
Old 10-08-2006, 05:58 AM

Default Sounds like the same situation I had with the Spec setup. <M> Long

It was the pp that crapped out on me. I would definately bleed it again.
Could not get it into gear with motor on, but turned off it was fine. Turned out the the Spec PP spring had sprung prematurely. They replaced it for free, but it cost me $1600 to at Suncoast to get a new one installed.

8K miles later- last week- The same problem occured as I as driving down the alley. However, the car shut off and will not start either. Vag says that the engine speed sensor is getting no signal.
Accoring to spec this time, it is my fault because I didn't pay extra for the non-sac version that they developed. They later admitting that they have no record of what they sent me. They refuse to pay for ANY labor even if it is proven that their product failed.
I was going to order from Vast today with the lwfw.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:31 AM

My previous rs4 pp had broken finger(one of the three lower ones) and it made similar onoff symptoms
Old 10-08-2006, 06:33 AM

yeah, I dont know where to go from here... I think mine went cause I told you it was great last week

Quick Reply: Clutch issues.. need input.