S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Clutches, BOV's, 0-60 times, drievtrain, 600hp......other fun stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-1999, 03:30 PM
Bill D

Default Clutches, BOV's, 0-60 times, drievtrain, 600hp......other fun stuff

I was playing with my G-Tech pro the other night and maged to get some good times 5.11 was my best 0-60. I didn't have enough space for 1/4. I did manage a sub-5 sec run, but I wasn't able to duplicate it. I think it was a fluke.

Two things I noticed. The clutch smelled horrible every time I ran. This is no less than the 5th AWD turbo car I've owned so I have a pretty standard launching technique....rev it to redline and release the clutch...don't dump the clutch...release the clutch. The S4 seems to launch best right around 6000. In stock form it doesn't have quite enough power to keep from bogging just a little. Is anybody working on an upgraded clutch? This clutch doesn't seem well suited for agressive launches in stock form...so I'm sure I'll be doing it no favors when my APR chip comes in.

Next, between first and second gear on hard shifts there is a loud THUMP. much louder than I'm used to hearing. I wonder if stiffer motor and tranny mounts will help.....but ever since day one i've noticed that there seems to be a lot of noticeable vibration from the engine at idle. It feels like a rough idle. I know that it would be much more noticeable if I stiffened up the mounts.

Does anybody have ANY idea what the stock flywheel weighs? Does anybody manufacture a lighter flywheel for these cars?...or an LSD for the rear....

Blow Off Valves don't seems like a very worthwile modification on these cars....There are many better ways to spend your money at this point....and as previously mentioned you would have to plumb them back into the intake tract or your car will run like crap.

BTW someone mentioned skylines running 40 psi and pushing 900hp. The front line tuners are pushing more than 60psi and 1400hp these days. Full bodieds skylines have broken the 7-second barrier. Street prepared cars are running deep in the 9's.

It would take a lot of $ to make a useable 600hp out of an S4. You reach a point with any car that development becomes excessively expensive.

If I had an unlimited budget today, I would have a company like Mountune build me an engine and than hook it up with a MOTEC. Than I'd drop an XTRAC H-pattern Semi-Auto in like the 98' Subaru WRC cars. Fully active diffs would of course be included. etc.etc.
Old 12-09-1999, 03:57 PM
KJK

Default Re: Clutches, BOV's, 0-60 times, drievtrain, 600hp......other fun stuff

Maybe not related but, my 315+ hp M5 also makes some noise when shifting at full acceleration. It is not a thump like something is wrong but it is there. I think it is just the sound made by the contact of the clutch and flywheel and u-joints tightening up again after their brief respite. I also have a very long 1-2 throw. I think any high horsepower car will have some drivetrain noise. I did 3 or 4 dead stop 0-60 runs in my M5 and smelled a bit of clutch too, 2500rpm release--timed by me and the only conclusion I reached was the runs were sub 6 seconds.

Decided that I would avoid the stoplight stuff. My car wasn't built for it anyway. Just think of the strain of getting 3800lbs moving from a dead stop in 5.5 to 5.8 seconds--ouch.

As for 600hp S4's, I would like to see a few running at 175k+ mileage. Ain't gonna happen with that kind of power. BTW, Skylines are kinda ugly--even though they are fast.

I would think that most ex-A4 owners will take a while to get used to the 260 the S4 has, let alone another 100 horsepower or more. Things really start to happen fast at 80mph and above--believe me I know.
Old 12-09-1999, 09:44 PM
Audiboy

Default I mentioned about the 40 psi deal - and it's no quartermile car but more for endurance...

Apexi has one.

I just wanted to point out to a posting yesterday that just because a large turbo setup on a 1.8T will make 300hp, putting 2 on a 2.7TT will not make 600hp that easy. It takes air pressure over atmosphere to produce the power, not the quantity of turbos. So, in my quick calc, the S4 will need over 36 psi of turbo pressure to get 600hp.

BTW, 6000 rpm clutch release? Damn you're brave. I do it at 4000 rpm in my A4, highest I've done on an AWD car (Talon) was 5000. 6000, my left leg gets wiggly, and my right leg backs off the gas a bit :-)<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/s4/19220.phtml">link to yesterday's post</a></li></ul>
Old 12-09-1999, 09:46 PM
Audiboy

sub 6 not bad for a 3800lb car. Have you seen the new M5! I wanna launch that thing :-)
Old 12-09-1999, 09:51 PM
2dino

Default My S4 exhibits the same rough idle and I notice the clutch often have delayed re-engagement

,seems to me the stock clutch tend to slip under certain load conditions(not necessarily at high rev). This has been like it from new (29miles) and I have never abused the clutch

any adui clutch guru out there?
Old 12-10-1999, 07:08 AM
KJK

Default There is one guy in our NorCal M5 group awaiting delivery

I have heard that with traction control turned off the thing breaks them loose in almost every gear. I am still a firm believer in letting someone else be the test group in first year cars. Now, if someone gave me one, I would happily accept it. Hoping to see a few at driver's schools next year.