S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Cold 2-3K RPM partial throttle stutter

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold 2-3K RPM partial throttle stutter

It seems others have a similar problem, but I think mine is a bit different.

When the car is cold, either in the morning leaving for work, or leaving work to go home, whether it's 30F outside or 70F, my stock B5 S4 6M Avant stutters under partial throttle acceleration between 2K and 3K RPM. It does this only once. It's about a 1/4 mile from my driveway to the next road which at which I stop, and then repeat the same acceleration. It does not do this during the 2nd round.

It's usually in 1st gear but if I shift early, then 2nd. But then no more stuttering after the initial one, until starting over with a cold engine.

I've had the same problem for some time now and I'm starting to get annoyed. I first replaced my spark plugs - same thing. Replaced the air filter element, changed oil, e.g. routine maintenance - problem persists. Recently I replaced the diverter valves, and throttle body boot (the TBB was actually still good) and a vacuum line that looked awful to one of the DVs. No dice. Stuttering continues.

I have no check engine light, no EPC light, and like I said before, after that one stutter, the car runs fine. Any ideas? My idle seems to be fine too, so I'm not so sure it's a MAF. It's the Hitachi one too which is supposedly less prone to failure than the Bosch unit.

I'm not ready to spend sever $100 on O2 sensors and a new MAF sensor unless I can nail down what is causing the issue.

Another thing I noticed is that after replacing my DVs, I no longer hear the typical boost purge on throttle lift during shifting. Is that normal for the 710N?

Last edited by GomerPyle; 11-03-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hey i'm having the same problem with my a4. mine does the exact same thing. any luck in figuring out what's wrong?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by maryeg122
hey i'm having the same problem with my a4. mine does the exact same thing. any luck in figuring out what's wrong?
Not yet. I have a MAF and fuel filter being delivered today. I probably won't have it out on the road for a couple days though since I need to to some body work too.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GomerPyle
It seems others have a similar problem, but I think mine is a bit different.

When the car is cold, either in the morning leaving for work, or leaving work to go home, whether it's 30F outside or 70F, my stock B5 S4 6M Avant stutters under partial throttle acceleration between 2K and 3K RPM. It does this only once. It's about a 1/4 mile from my driveway to the next road which at which I stop, and then repeat the same acceleration. It does not do this during the 2nd round.

It's usually in 1st gear but if I shift early, then 2nd. But then no more stuttering after the initial one, until starting over with a cold engine.

I've had the same problem for some time now and I'm starting to get annoyed. I first replaced my spark plugs - same thing. Replaced the air filter element, changed oil, e.g. routine maintenance - problem persists. Recently I replaced the diverter valves, and throttle body boot (the TBB was actually still good) and a vacuum line that looked awful to one of the DVs. No dice. Stuttering continues.

I have no check engine light, no EPC light, and like I said before, after that one stutter, the car runs fine. Any ideas? My idle seems to be fine too, so I'm not so sure it's a MAF. It's the Hitachi one too which is supposedly less prone to failure than the Bosch unit.

I'm not ready to spend sever $100 on O2 sensors and a new MAF sensor unless I can nail down what is causing the issue.

Another thing I noticed is that after replacing my DVs, I no longer hear the typical boost purge on throttle lift during shifting. Is that normal for the 710N?
Have you scanned the S4 with VCDS when the problem occurs? How old is the coolant temperature sensor?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
Have you scanned the S4 with VCDS when the problem occurs? How old is the coolant temperature sensor?
Don't have the tool for scanning. Which coolant temp sensor? IIRC there are 3. As far as I know all sensors are OEM except the aux pump one which I just replaced.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If it is only happening when it's cold you might just have a minor air leak. when the car warms a little the rubber hoses get pliable and seal better. you can build or buy an intake pressure tester. search in the forums for intake pressure tester or you can buy from awe-tuning. http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/...ure_tester.pdf
The fuel filter isn't the problem and I highly doubt the MAF. The other thing that is happening when its cold for the fist minute or so is the (SAI) secondary air injection is running which forces air into the exhaust to help heat up the cat's and o2 sensors quicker. could just be that air pump isn't shut off yet. I would suspect an intake leak or vacuum leak before anything else. even the vacuum is less likely due to it would probably be a constant issue.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

New fuel filter and MAF are in. Problem appears to be gone. Idle seems a bit smoother too.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Preatorian
If it is only happening when it's cold you might just have a minor air leak. when the car warms a little the rubber hoses get pliable and seal better. you can build or buy an intake pressure tester. search in the forums for intake pressure tester or you can buy from awe-tuning. http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/...ure_tester.pdf
The fuel filter isn't the problem and I highly doubt the MAF. The other thing that is happening when its cold for the fist minute or so is the (SAI) secondary air injection is running which forces air into the exhaust to help heat up the cat's and o2 sensors quicker. could just be that air pump isn't shut off yet. I would suspect an intake leak or vacuum leak before anything else. even the vacuum is less likely due to it would probably be a constant issue.
The car doesn't warm up in a 1/4 mile. I don't think the air leak would go away that quickly. Additionally, see my other post for results: new fuel filter + MAF worked as far as I can tell. Which one was the culprit? I don't know. I'd go with the MAF since the idle seems to be better.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GomerPyle
New fuel filter and MAF are in. Problem appears to be gone. Idle seems a bit smoother too.
It's not completely gone, but definitely better. The throttle response feels a bit crisper too.