S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Corner Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why do you think everyone is blasting you? were you beaten as a child?

I am trying to learn here. you can continue to be worthless and make unbacked biased statements that really dont mean **** or you can explain. I dont know much about suspension and I was legitimately asking for some insight. now would you care to share your experiencees?

FWIW I have seen control arm bushings flex over 2" BUT this was in a launching situation NOT on a track. Is this same type of behavior pertainant on the track as well? I would assume that with a car that has 50 percent cross weight standing still could be greatly affected if the suspension were to flex to the point that the balanced characteristics change. Once again I am requesting your insight here and NOT knocking you. Please do share your experiences.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i guess i shouldnt wonder why he wont explain in detail

takes alot longer to pull intricate answers from your *** i guess
Old 01-29-2007, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If they're progressive rate, then corner balancing is not that effective.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Let me clarify

I never said it was a bad idea to have your car corner weighed. In fact I agree with Eric, there are many benefits in addition to cornering.

Personally I dont find the expense worth the gain on a daily driver street car. Now if you are a track junkie looking for that last tenth of a second - by all means look into it.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Eric is making a blanket statement saying ALWAYS no matter what

we would like to know why.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I understand that, all i was saying is if one is street car on stock control arms just not

worth the extra coins for corner balanced! that is all i was saying but then EF said "That's a foolish thing to say, I'd love to hear your explantion for that"

and i never said I didnt agree with EF on corner just saying not worth it if it is a street car with stock arms and such
Old 01-29-2007, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But, Jason, that also takes your butt into account!

Got your aTTention?

Seriously though, there are a certain number of people that know what a well sorted suspension should feel like.

There are a smaller portion that know how to get to a well sorted suspension from only feeling what the car is doing -- for this group, a corner balance would probably be superfluous for everyday driving but the same group would probably consider it a req for tracking.

To think that the average c/o buyer can dial-in a ride and damper adjustable suspension is giving way too much credit to your average buyer. I think people would enjoy the money they've spent on suspension ($1500-$4000) by spending $250 on a quality alignment and cornerbalancing.

With my line of thinking, the first group of people would notice the difference and gain much more enjoyment from their cars without having to have the experience and knowledge of the second group.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've got a pretty calibrated butt. I own scales (taking the expense of corner balancing out of the

equation). I tried to get it close with only the butt. I was not too far off. I certainly felt the difference after scales. I'm glad i put it on scales. The end.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Makes sense. Kinda like OEM brakes :) What about the rake setup?....

Some say having some negative rake (rear slightly lower than front) is better. Anyone have experience with the B5 and rake setups on the track?
Old 01-29-2007, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You can only dial out so much of dscottjr's weight. There are limits, you know. Doh!

Quick Reply: Corner Balancing