S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Cost of ownership...after 70k...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true. true.

But I have 90k on my 01 S4 and (knock on wood) have had no problems to date. I used to drive Cadillacs (STS and ETC); but now that I've gone German, I plan to stay there.

To quote a wise man, Doowhatchalike.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:45 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: It looks like you're a Pontiac fan. Not interested in waiting for the GTO? :-)

Well, I had a '97 GTP than ran 12's, so it was a lot of fun. I would go for the GTO, but I need more of a 'family' car these days, and I should be able to get a GTP into the 12's again for less than $1000.

Thanks for all you guys help so far, it's VERY helpful (especially coming from guys that have experienced an S4)! Keep any comments coming.

Thank you!
Travis<ul><li><a href="http://www.12secondgp.com">http://www.12secondgp.com</a</li></ul>
Old 09-03-2003, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think that if you are a stocker, then problems are less likely to occur for a couple reasons

1) less strain
2) type of driving on a less modded car.

My car ran with very few problems until I let a monkey under the hood.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:47 AM

Default I was going to post required mods, but since you had one before I figured you knew the drill :)

Go for high 11s this time :P
Old 09-03-2003, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Cost of ownership...after 70k...

market is pretty soft for s4's right now..seems like everyone is selling so not sure if you would get what you expect. i think if you do the maintenance and don't abuse the s4 you will get a lot of miles and enjoyment out of the car. of course it will be more expensive than an american car. but the pontiac at 70k will be a rattle box.. and the GM cheap plastic i could never get over...my 2 cents
Old 09-03-2003, 06:15 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Mid 12's...

I'd be shooting for mid 12's, as this WOULD be a daily driver.

-Travis
Old 09-03-2003, 06:16 AM

Default I sure wouldnt go american tho..

Jap cars I think are the way to go these days. And although most Jap car companies dont have maintenance programs like Audi/BMW/Mercedes, they do have more reliable cars with cheaper parts than american. I think I would look into an Acura/Nissan or something like that (cheaper luxury) and if you hit their promotions right, you can end up with a great car for a decent payment.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:21 AM

Default Chicken :)

It's nice that mid 12s are so relatively easy now that everything is sorted out, so different than a few years ago.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:30 AM
gr

Default That's the ugliest car I've ever seen. You buy a car like that, I bet you get a free bowl of soup,

Looks good on you though!

I kid, I kid! Honestly, I wouldn't trade my 72k miles-having S4 for 2 brand new GTPs, money isn't THAT important.

My cousin had a 2000 GTP and lived with me for ~2 years while he had it, I helped him mod the ever-living hell out of it, like I've done with my S4. Sure, it was kind of fast, but it was very, very definitely a pontiac.

I drove it for a week at a time when my car was in the shop a few times and I was never happier than when I got back into my S4. The old model GTP, when modded to be in the 12s was just plain uncomfortable and the damn thing turned like a Camaro, I honestly felt bad when we drove around in it (like "what have I helped him do to this thing... now he's stuck with it"). That being said, it was roomier than an S4 and had a nice big trunk.

I think most of the folks on this board would hate going to a grand prix after owning an S4, but you've owned one so you know what you're in for. I'm guessing the new one isn't worse than the old one, so if that's your cup of tea and your main concern is saving cash, have at it.

If you're a car guy, keep the S4.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:02 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well...if you do it 'right'...

Well, like any car, you can make mods that are going to make it undriveable.... Like a hellishly loud exhaust, extremely rouch riding struts/springs, etc. I agree, the creaks and rattles are what I'm really not looking forward to going back to....

You can take a GTP and put it into the 12's without sacrificing little, if any, daily driveability, if you do it right that is.

Thanks for your comments!
Travis

Quick Reply: Cost of ownership...after 70k...