S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Couple of quick questions about TB DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of quick questions about TB DIY

Before anyone lambasts me, I know, I've been bad and pushing my luck as I now have 115,000 miles and still haven't gotten around to the timing belt on my '01.5. Anyway, enough is enough and its time to replace it (no pun indended). Initially I was going to bring it to a shop given the severity of a mistake with this one, however after doing some research on the subject and a little self-motivation, I've decided it realy shouldn't be out of hand for me to do it myself (plus you have to enjoy wrenching on these cars or what's the point). I've tracked down a couple of guides and tips from various people, however as I mentioned before, a mistake could mean big problems. It seems that JHM puts out an instructional DVD (as well as a tool kit) which I am planning on picking up, however I was wondering if anyone here has seen/used it and what their impressions were. I also still don't own a Bently, however I figure with the money I'll save on labor, it might be worth getting one of those to. Any thoughts on how good the Bently actually is (I've never actually seen it). Thanks in advance guys.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Get the Bentley manual and get a VAG-COM, they come in very handy.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by archimense
Get the Bentley manual and get a VAG-COM, they come in very handy.
+1

The timing belt isn't too bad of a job. Just make sure you get the cam lock bar or are extremely careful removing the timing belt. If you are off by one tooth you will have to do it again and if you are off by more than one you may end up kissing your valves goodbye. Just follow the write ups.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

hey man i was in the same boat as you but mine actually took a dump my water pump blew up and luckly the guys at WICKED MOTORSPORTS hooked me up and helped me out. i changed my T belt myself and was actually amazed how easy everything was after i was finally was able to get the bumper off. One thing you have to remember like mike told me is dont over tighten any bolts everything except the cam bolts should be hand tight. also a little tip, loosen the cam gear bolts before you pull the pin to lock the belt. after you have pulled the pin then torque down the bolts on the cams.