S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Crank Sensor replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Sensor replacement?

Had to take the S4 to the dealer to replace the after-run pump that crapped out and started leaking coolant all over the place after I shut it down. While there, I had them diagnose an infrequent problem I had starting the vehicle a few time in the past. Car would crank but not fire after driving around town making many stops. Let is sit for 10 minutes and it would start fine. The tech was unable to reproduce the complaint [not suprising as it happened only a few times] but found stored codes for the Engine Speed Input No Signal. He also stated that the crank sensor checks out at the moment but is likely the cause of the problem. The estimate of repair is $736 which replaces the engine speed sensor and the exhaust gas temp sensor bank 2.

My question is this...can I perform this repair and where could I get the parts if so?

Any help would be appreciated by me and my wallet.

Erik
Old 04-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Both can be replaced in your garage. JHM sells the sensor, and you should be able to change it with a 10mm socket, a few extensions, and a universal or two.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pretty easy to replace the crank sensor. I had the same problem and that fixed it. Does your car have an AWE flywheel? Those have been known to cause that issue also. The early ones had reluctor rings that come loose and intemittently spin free of the flywheel.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

No I've got the stock flywheel. I guess I'll order one and do it myself.

Thanks,

Erik
Old 09-24-2010, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Erik - what did you end up doing to remedy the problem?

Have had a similar problem with my 2001 stock S4 - on occasion, I'll go to start it and it will crank, but not fire. Wait for 10-15 minutes and it fires right up, no problem.

Went to my mechanic to have the Check Engine light checked out and they said the exact same thing - crank sensor, speed sensor, and exhaust temperature sensor.

1) Can I replace just the crank sensor? Mechanic said the three work in tandem. Is there any harm in not changing the speed sensor and exhaust temperature sensor.

2) How much do you think this would cost me to fix on my own? All I have are jack stands and tools. Figured I'd probably have to buy a VAG-com reader (do I need a PC? I only have a Mac). Plus, consider I've never worked on a German car before.

3) Where do you guys go for parts online? And do you know the part numbers (or official names of these three parts) so I could look them up?

Thanks guys - any help would be appreciated. New to S4 ownership.