S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Crankcase Breather Hose System

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankcase Breather Hose System

My car has an oil leak!!!!
I'm honestly not shocked, but I want to get to the root of why this happens. I purchased my 2000.5 Stage 2+ with now 135K miles with a faint oil burning smell about a year ago. That smell still lingers in the cabin as I've had my hands full and wallet empty with other repairs. The guy got out a flash light and directed me to what I believe to be the Cam cap on the rear of the motor, passenger side. It was a little oily and he claimed this was the issue. He also claimed he had replaced cam seals and valve cover gaskets in the prior year to me purchasing the car. So why such a quick failure?

I ordered some unrelated parts from blauparts.com (quality parts and price I must add) and they have a little tutorial on B5 S4 oil leaks and suggest a "blocked crankcase breather hose system" could be the suspect. Is this a photo of the crankcase breather hose system and what could be sludged up and causing problems?

I want to replace seals and gaskets so I can stop using recirculate on my climate control all the time, but I also want to get the extra pressure off of these failing items. Help if you can, thanks.

I'm also including a link the blauparts discussion.

http://blauparts.com/audi/audi_oil_l...il_leaks.shtml
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2012, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KennydS4
My car has an oil leak!!!!
I'm honestly not shocked, but I want to get to the root of why this happens. I purchased my 2000.5 Stage 2+ with now 135K miles with a faint oil burning smell about a year ago. That smell still lingers in the cabin as I've had my hands full and wallet empty with other repairs. The guy got out a flash light and directed me to what I believe to be the Cam cap on the rear of the motor, passenger side. It was a little oily and he claimed this was the issue. He also claimed he had replaced cam seals and valve cover gaskets in the prior year to me purchasing the car. So why such a quick failure?

I ordered some unrelated parts from blauparts.com (quality parts and price I must add) and they have a little tutorial on B5 S4 oil leaks and suggest a "blocked crankcase breather hose system" could be the suspect. Is this a photo of the crankcase breather hose system and what could be sludged up and causing problems?

I want to replace seals and gaskets so I can stop using recirculate on my climate control all the time, but I also want to get the extra pressure off of these failing items. Help if you can, thanks.

I'm also including a link the blauparts discussion.

http://blauparts.com/audi/audi_oil_l...il_leaks.shtml
that is the pcv valve aka breather hose.

the leaks are just common in these cars. they will happen. doesnt mean the pcv is blocked. if the pcv is fully blocked you will have oil spewing out of the exhaust.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 PM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahaha truth! its a 2.7t, they like to leak.

could be excessive crank case pressure for one reason or another. hopefully its not bad rings causing compression to leak past rings into your crank case

could also be a failed check valve in the spider hose causing the gaskets to see boost pressure.

could also be a bad install of the valve covers, need to clean it really well and goop the corners and the V really well using good quality sealant. also need to use good quality gaskets, i like victor reinz
Old 03-20-2012, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you both for replying. I think I may assemble a new breather hose assembly from hardware store parts and then replace my seals. I will be sure to check out the victor reinz gaskets, DxC.

I will add that back when I changed my F-hose, I noticed some oil in the line. How normal is this?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just brought my car into the dealer for an oil leak as well.

Though I suspected the leaks were coming from my turbos, according to the diagnostic, the mechanic claims to be 100% sure that the leaks are coming from the Camshaft seals, Tensioner gaskets, and Valve cover gaskets.

I also came across the same blauparts link and was considering replacing these spider hoses, but after the diagnostic I am less convinced that the crankcase breather hoses are clogged. I think the best fix is just to replace the gaskets mentioned above.

This might save you some money and heartache.

----------------
Long Live our S4's
Old 05-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Updated Oil fill cap

I replaced mine with this one.

http://www.europaparts.com/oil-cap-078103485f.html

It has the ability to dump crank case pressure before you blow out a cam seal or gasket. Cheap insurance, I was finally able to get all the leaking stopped by replacing this cap. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by joeffrS4
I replaced mine with this one.

http://www.europaparts.com/oil-cap-078103485f.html

It has the ability to dump crank case pressure before you blow out a cam seal or gasket. Cheap insurance, I was finally able to get all the leaking stopped by replacing this cap. Good luck.

Fantastic! I am definitely going to install this. Thanks
Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 AM
One
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KennydS4
Fantastic! I am definitely going to install this. Thanks
I dong see what the difference is between this and the original. Can you compare them and tell us pls. Im looking for a tell tale wether or not I have the updated one.