S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Is cutting Fuel Pressure Regulator line for boost gauge vacuum line a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yeah but of all the places to take a chance Fuel Pressure? No thanks...there's a million other spots

you can tap with little consequence if there's a leak.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leaking boost/mainfold pressure is always going to have consequences
Old 05-23-2002, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Probably because it's the easiest place to tap into, and the risk is low in people's minds.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But I agree if i had choice I wouldn't want to be losing fuel pressure too - i guess i just

don't see it as a likely scenario unless someone botches the install.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:00 PM

Default I agree, and like I said, as soon as a leak occurs you should know about it immediately.

In reality, how many times have we heard about someone F'ing their engine up as a result of a boost guage leak? I don't recall even one.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You seem to be entirely missing the point though...if you're going to have a leak

why not have a leak in a place where the risk of damage as a result is minimal or zero as opposed to probable or likely?

Sorta like if someone said to you...you're going to have to bleed...would you rather bleed from an artery or a vein? External or internal? Then the choice is easy...vein please external. The decision on the FPR tap for the Boost gauge should be this easy...it's obvious it's not a great place as it could have consequences...certainly more so than those associated with other tap locations.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It is the best idea. Because then you will have a monitor of vacuum/boost and if for some reason...

you see nothing on the dash, time to shut off the car and check for leaks, as opposed to not knowing your fuel pressure's dropped from an undetected leak and you can kiss engine bye bye. Kinda like a win-win situation.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:54 PM

Default James, i'm not missing your point at all. Rather, i'm being realistic about the chances of failure.

We could come up with 100 different scenarios where different mods result in adverse affects and ways to minimize them. I don't feel that there is a great enough risk of generating a leak where I mounted my boost guage to necessitate routing the tap further away just for added security. Obviously you feel differently. My tap is secured as well as any of the other hose connections in my engine bay. I don't lose any sleep over it.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audiboy makes an interesting point above - on the flip side, tapping here can *warn* you

if there is a leak in this critical area. One might argue that point by saying, well what are the odds of the stock FPR hose/clamps ever having a leak, and I would argue the same for the gauge T when installed properly. *shrug*
Old 05-23-2002, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well I think there's good reason Audi positioned everything to make that hose as short and direct

as possible. The less hose you have the less there is to inspect...the less likely it is to get damaged by moving parts or rubbing against things. I've replaced that hose with a Silicone hose myself as the OEM one is prone to rotting...the hose that comes from the factory is basically trash IMHO...it dry rots inside of a year :-/

Regards,

Quick Reply: Is cutting Fuel Pressure Regulator line for boost gauge vacuum line a bad idea?