S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Is cutting Fuel Pressure Regulator line for boost gauge vacuum line a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've seen the stock hose crumble numerous times...they do fail

I have a feeling that the rate of fuel pressure change is rather small, because I've known people to have driven around with that hose totally rotten and their cars, "seem" fine. My guess is with the hose broken...and lower fuel pressure the car simply has to adjust the injector timing to something more boarderline to keep the car from leaning out. So instead of relying on that technique 100% of the time they gave things a bit of a help by putting a rising rate regulator in there...I dunno just a theory.

I agree with you only in as much as my observations over the years have suggested the implications of that hose coming off haven't been as dire as some might suggest. But I don't think it's a good thing either. A leak is a leak...I'd much rather leak from somewhere I'm certain is trivial rather than one I assume is...
Old 05-23-2002, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With the heat that your car produces and its induced problems, it seems that you guys would.....

keep that in mind and mod your car in a preventative manner in order to perhaps one day save your turbos/engine. With the heat the your properly working engine produces, it would only take a slight and insignificant leak to lean out your mixture causing a skyrocket in EGTs. I believe your car does come w/ stereo egt probes that the ECU monitors, so it would probably be able to keep things under control. But like I said above, why even take the risk when there are other taps that have little or no consequences if they slightly leak?