S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Damaged SSR repaired: looks good as new!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged SSR repaired: looks good as new!

I know a bunch of people on here have used them and posted before, but I figured I'd throw my words into the mix... I just picked up my repaired SSR Competition from Rim and Wheel Works in Newton, MA.

The wheel when I dropped it off had quite a large amount of curb rash, which is especially noticable on the polished lip of the wheel -- big areas were basically ground off the lip from scraping curbs here in Boston. The wheel also had some cosmetic issues (scratches around the bolt holes, some dings on the spokes. The biggest problem was a very large dent in the lip from a monsterous crater of a pothole I hit near the end of last summer. The wheel held air, but it looked really bad, and concerned me that it wouldn't hold air forever.

Anyway, dropped the wheel off three weeks ago. Because the SSR has a polished/machined lip, they wanted to send it out to a facility that could properly remachine the lip once they'd welded new metal onto it, and once the dent was repaired. Some sort of UPS shipping fiasco delayed me getting it back for a week, but in the end it was worth it.

The wheel basically looks like new. (Certainly as good as it did when I got it.) The curb rash is gone, the machined texture on the lip is still in place, and there's no indication of where the repairs were made.

Total cost, $170 including the remounting and balancing -- less than half what buying a new wheel would've been. This was my second time dealing with them (they repaired my spare Avus wheel when I hit a very large rock in the middle of a road and shredded the tire). Anyway, definitely recommended for people in the area. Aparently they do a lot of mail-order work for dealerships all over the place, too, but I can't speak to whether or not they're that much better than local alternatives for those of you not in the Boston area.<ul><li><a href="http://www.rimandwheelworks.com/index.html">http://www.rimandwheelworks.com/index.html</a</li></ul>
Old 04-18-2003, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sweet! Thanks for posting this. I have a bent 17" Comp...

and I've been dreading looking into where to send it to have it repaired!

Thanks again!

-Thom