S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Deal breakers when buying s4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big 2nd...
Old 09-19-2007, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3rd.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default yup...there is alwasy going to be some issue w the car...big or not, just make sure you area going t

to be able to affor maintanace...I found myself working overtime just to maintain it...plus you allway going to have that ich wanting to keep upgrading your car...but at the end of the day when I go home exhausted and hop on the car and drive the thing it pays off..hahaha...
Old 09-19-2007, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Bought mine out of state 3 months ago. Some rambling advice...

I understand what you are looking for because I did the same thing 3 months ago. I flew out of state (Make a return, refundable flight reservation.), cash in hand and bought the car.

Search the friendly Archives (STFA) for all of the usual replacement items. I spent days reading and made a list (If I find it I'll post) of all the things to check on for the Model years that I wanted: 2001.5 or 2002. Some biggies are timing belt, water pump if near 90K miles. (Some recommend 70K miles.) What mods if any are you willing to accept because that changes the list. I wanted and finally found a 2001.5 in the color, interior and totally stock. It was a little higher mileage- 60K, but had CPO warranty-a total bonus.

Another biggie is/are the brakes. Many S4s (if not all have the warped rotor/ deposited brake pad problem. Just plan on modifying the brakes.

Ask all the questions over the phone and carfax the VIN. Also, talk about clear title and method of payment. Get an idea of price flexibility by asking, "What if on my inspection (dealership mechanic) we agree that something you didn't know about needs repair? Would you be willing to knock that amount of the price?" You might find that the owner is "upside-down" in the car (owes more than it is worth), or owes the asking price, and this will make him less flexible. Make an appointment with the local audi dealership for a full inspection. It is best if this is the dealership that has serviced the car. Get copies of all service records and go over them before you fly out. Take a flashlight and clothes you can get under the car in. Ask the owner if he has any knowlege of any, that is any paint or body work or mechanical problems beside routine maaintenance. Let him know that you would like to put in the bill of sale (that he will sign) a list of known body work, paint and mechanical repairs. If he baulks that may indicate that you are not getting the full story. If he is a second owner and is not sure, then let him know that you understand and won't hold him responsible for what he doesn't know, but that this decreases the value of the car as compared to another car that you are looking at with an original owner. If he says he is selling the car "as is" let him know that that is fine with you, but obviously an "as is" car has less value. If he baulks that may be an indication that he is not totally upfront. Be prepared to walk away. Let the owner know that you plan on seeing the car one day and taking it to be inspected by the dealership or a mechanic. And that the next day you want to take care of the financials and title, but that you can be flexible because your return flight is fully refundable. Google search the owner's name (and everyone on the title). Check the seat heaters, and fading LED display between the guages -- mine were bad(CPO warranty covered it.)

Another recommendation: look at as many other S4s that are for sale as possible. Test drive as many as possible. Let the local dealership know what you are looking for and test drive there S4s. Show up at the Dealership Service bay and get to know the mechanics, you'll get a look at he belly of some S4s and get the mechanics advice on what to look for.

Good Luck and I hope this helps. I am totally happy with my S4-funnest car I've owned after my A4.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks for the advice

I understand this car is going to cost a lot more to fix than my civic.....thousands more. Since I have choices, I was hoping to get an idea of what is acceptable to buy knowing there is something wrong, and was is unacceptable. Thanks for the advice though. I will keep reading this forum and combing the internet for what I want.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I believe the best advice is to buy knowing that you have the potential of

turbos failing, control arms failing, random engine parts failing, etc., and then decide if the price that you are going to pay is acceptable once you factor in that $15k on top of the price ($15k would be turbo fixing cost plus enough money to fix the engine and control arms, once).

Also, then you'd probably have to add normal stuff, so that's another $xxxx per year for regular maintenance items.

Assuming you are buying an S4 for $15k, assuming the asking price is $30k. Now you can ask the question yourself as to whether or not it's acceptable.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Maybe you should just buy one with blown turbos cheap then just dump $10k in up front and start with

a stg3 car.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

that's ridiculous.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've had 2 and zero major issues.

I don't drive them hard though. I rarely get into any significant boost. It is a great daily driver. If you are looking to beat on your car on a budget, buy something japanese and tune it.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

*shrugs* that's your opinion.

Quick Reply: Deal breakers when buying s4?