S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

deep scratches in paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deep scratches in paint

i have a couple deep scratches in my paint from the previous owner. one is long and sweeping, seems like careless snow removal to me. and the other is on the rear bumper, looks like backed into something/someone tapped the car. i CANT STAND these scatches it drives me crazy. ive tried a couple different waxes but they only helped a little bit. i was hoping you guys had some good secrets you were holding from me? please help
Old 03-01-2007, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Try the detailing forum. As for me, I used Audi's touch up paint and langka and it worked good

enough for me. I figure scratches like that are inevitable for a daily driver...
Old 03-01-2007, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rule of thumb...if you can catch a finger nail on it, it will require a repaint- ->

And, in nearly every case where a scratch was touched up by someone other than a pro, the repair looked worse than the untouched scratch.

That said, if you absolutely must touch it up, Langka works great. But practice ont something first!!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default like LI-S4 stated below... if its deep enough it requires a repaint...however...

remember though, using touch up paint incorrectly or doing a poor job is worse and or more noticeable than just having a scratch. but if you absolutely must retouch, or cannot afford paint at the moment...

get the following items:

a. touch up paint from the dealer (or if it has been resprayed get the paint from the bodyshop)
b. lite rubbing compound
c. book of matches
d. wax
e. rubbing alcohol

this is crude step by step, for detailed information check with the detail forum have it professionally done.

youll want to wash the area thoroughly then wipe it down with alcohol. tear out a match from the match book, insert the back end into the bottle, apply thinly and gently in a sweeping motion from one side to the other. remember two thin coats are better then one thick one. after it dries use the compound to smooth it out and blend in. (you can do this by and or via PC... wax, shine and you should be good...

good luck.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I should have thought of this earlier...there is another option- ->

Although I would call it ghetto at best.

I put a nasty scratch in my rear bumper. I mean nasty. 7 inches long, and a good 1/8" wide, straight through to the plastic.

I was ready to repaint it and it looked awful. believe it or not, I used the Turtle Wax paint stick to fill it. It is what looks like lipstick, in my case dark blue. I waited till mid day in the summer so the paint was very warm and left the paint stick in the sun to warm as well. I ran the paint stick over the scratch filling the depth with the blue waxy material. I intentionally overfilled it.

Once the sun set, and the paint cooled hardening the wax, I used a MF to buff off the excess. It looked far better than a touch up would or could have.

It eventually wore off after a bunch of washes but it was easy enough to do.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default reminds me of something very ghetto as well...

if you have a car thats navy, or black etc.

you can use shoe polish as a temporary filler as well... same concept as you stated above, however you cant use the liquid polish but the paste works well... its a temporary fix...
Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you compared the consistency of the paint stick and the shoe polish..

pretty close
Old 03-02-2007, 09:41 AM

Default use lankga

it works very well<ul><li><a href="http://www.langka.com/">langka</a></li></ul>