S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Did i Destroy my Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did i Destroy my Clutch?

Couple nights ago in the snow i was messing around with a friend of mine in a z71 Pick up
anyways later on that night we raced from a roll in the snow and i ended up burning my clutch bad at some high Rpm's(didnt know i was at such high rpms with his loud *** chevy besides me) as soon as i figure out im burning the hell out of my clutch i notice my clutch pedal is stuck in a down position i actually had to take the top of my foot to lift it back up...the smell of clutch lasted for a long time

now since the stupid mistake my clutch does not feel the same at all....its much stiffer then before from top to the very buttom to push in....my engagement point feels its moved closer to the top of the pedal, while driving the littlest push on the pedal disengages the clutch
today i tryed to launch my car a few times from 2800-3000 rpms just to see what would happen and sure enough there was heavy slippage,theres no slippage during regular driving but i still get a lil wiff of clutch even though im trying to be easy on it

Im figuring my clutch is gone but wondering if there maybe something else damaged thats causing these other problems

any comments besides im a jackass?
Old 12-10-2005, 10:49 AM

Default I blew my clutch a few weeks ago and all of the things you're describing happened before it finally

went. When they pulled my tranny they said I needed new clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing and clutch slave. Is this a stock clutch I assume?
Old 12-10-2005, 10:52 AM

yea stock clutch w/ 47k miles......Damn new flywheel to?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:01 AM

Default yea - went with rs4 clutch and LWFW from ECStuning. Its a pricey job but it's usually a one time

deal. I had them put DPs in also-killed two birds w/ one stone.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

might just have glazed the hell out of it..be nice to it for a couple weeks
Old 12-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I just had the same done as S4willburnya...same set up too...RS4 clutch and ECS LWFW...how do you

like that set up S4willburnya....I'm very pleased.

RokSped...sounds like your clutch is burned up...and within couple of weeks ..maybe a month if you baby it...the car wont be able to be driven...it's on it's last leg.

Your flywheel...might or might not be shot...hard to tell until they take the transmission out.... Flywheel has friction surface on it so could be glazed and just buffed out but if it's real bad then there is that possibility that you could have to replace it.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:11 PM

Default does it sound like a glazed clutch?? never had problems with my clutch before this

i've burnt the clutch a few times before when i first bought the car but haven't since then

i guess im hoping its just a glazed clutch...kind of a pain in the *** since i got to re adjust the way i use the clutch since it engages in a different point

Ill be easy on it for the next few weeks

one more question....if the clutch was gone wouldn't i be slipping in all gears? only time im getting slippage is on hard launchs in first
Old 12-10-2005, 01:17 PM

Default worst comes to worst i'll....

buy a Rs4 pressure plate,clutch and throw out bearing from a UK audi dealer that i found that sells them for around 340 USD and then buy the resurfaced FW from vast for 110 and even have Piggie install it if he can since i live in MI also
Old 12-10-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Do the test, 80 in 6th gear and just about floor it, slip=shot

Thats how I tested mine and sure enough it was shot and now hanging on my wall. It also should slip in every gear if it was gone. Also the amount of pressure needed to engage would be much less, and harder to get a smooth start. Just my experience...
Old 12-10-2005, 01:41 PM

Shoulda bought a Tip ;-) Hope it works out OK

Quick Reply: Did i Destroy my Clutch?