S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Did some VAG-COM mass airflow testing tonight, with and without MAF screen, etc... (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm?, opening the hood on the dyno skews the results. But is still lower than the Street reading
Old 05-02-2001, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm still curious - anyone out there checked it and found it to go over 260? Someone w/StageIII?
Old 05-02-2001, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Actually I think the S4 MAF is pretty decent sized - probably not restrictive IMO.
Old 05-03-2001, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Whats the block number on VAG-COM to mesure this?
Old 05-03-2001, 04:44 AM

Default some answers...

the mass air screen can be a restriction with more modification, the accurate way of testing this is to put pressure probes in various parts of the intake and see where restricton is building...you can also do this on the exhaust side but it does require you to drill holes for the sensor(sometimes in the name of science...) In your case of running around 255g/sec you are not really pushing the mass air meter or S flo in respect to its flow capabilities so you probably wouldnt see much in the way of restriction yet...in order to adequately test the panel vs Sflo you need to capture data for both-what you want to notice is the shape of the air flow curve of the S flo vs panel it is smoother and the airflow increases come on faster(higher airflow at same RPM etc) without erratic spikes and drops, this smooth curve is the mass air meter giving a smooth signal of air fuel to the ecu, you will also note that the airflow will be higher in the S flo application at similar data points(RPM/LOAD)...this tells you that the power is coming on quicker and the air fuel ratio is more stable than a panel setup...wanna see something really crazy put the panel in with the mass air screens out and notice the air flow curve looks like the pikes peak run the air is just tumbling through the mass air meter housing and the air curve will be quite erratic. The ITG cone has air straightening channels and a velocity stack that aid in straightening out the air much in the same way that the screens do...
Old 05-03-2001, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed. Keep the screen in - if only for straightening puropses. It is also the last

protection device between the outside world and a turbo impeller.
Old 05-03-2001, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Interesting, we should compare notes some time. (m)

I have the AWE S-Flo intake but have held off on installing it just so that I could try and see if it does make a difference. I have the stock filter in now (~15,000 mi) and have been collecting data for a variety of situations. I.e., casual drives and hard acceleration runs. The temperature is generally between 70 & 80. As the speed limit on the road by me is 55 I can't realistically get good info on more than 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. I am capturing DB 002.

Over the 18 acceleration runs I have done here are some trends I've noticed.

1) Airflow has a higher correlation with load than RPM.
Correlation
1st gear RPM-Flow 0.74, Load-Flow 0.90
2nd gear RPM-Flow 0.80, Load-Flow 0.95

2) In first gear I have only a few instances of load reaching 100% or more. Four times it exceeded 145%, two of those times flow was over 260g/s

3) In second gear I go over 100% load more often, and over 145% a good number of times. At loads over 145% it is not uncommon to see flow rates in excess of 260g/s. The highest flows were 271.44g/s, 169.2%, 5480rpm and 273.5g/s, 165.4%, 5760rpm

I still have third gear to look at. Plotting this information shows some definite trends. I expect to be able to determine whether or not the S-Flo makes any measurable difference when I finally get around to installing and testing it.
Old 05-03-2001, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Straightening ,is not an issue in this setup. Too much distance to the TB to make a difference.

Think of what that air goes through before it enters the combustion chamber. Y pipe,intercoolers, turbos, etc, etc.
Old 05-03-2001, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Right, but you still need a smooth column of air to get an accurate measurement at the MAS
Old 05-03-2001, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Restricting the air intake and then flooring it is a good way to overspin your turbos. (m)

Unless I'm missing something here, the ECU demands boost according to load requirements and regulates the waste gate until the demanded boost is reached. Of course, the compressor eventually runs out of breath if you stick a sock into the intake. On my race car, I blew several turbos because I believed the air flow numbers for certain K&N filters.

Within the turbo's flow capacity, any well regulated forced air induction system will compensate for intake restrictions.

Quick Reply: Did some VAG-COM mass airflow testing tonight, with and without MAF screen, etc... (long)