S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Differential

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential

I am getting a lot of wheel chatter, almost feels like the tires are slipping when hard turns. Am I diagnosing this correctly? Is there some special fluid I can try before replacing the differential? TIA
Old 02-23-2010, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a clicking develope whem mine went out.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BITURBO_27
I am getting a lot of wheel chatter, almost feels like the tires are slipping when hard turns. Am I diagnosing this correctly? Is there some special fluid I can try before replacing the differential? TIA
Try this. Go slow during a turn and then accelerate while turning does it make a chatter noise? Is it just the front wheels doing it?

You most likely have loose half axles due to loose CV joints. Front ones always go bad.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thecharlum
Try this. Go slow during a turn and then accelerate while turning does it make a chatter noise? Is it just the front wheels doing it?

You most likely have loose half axles due to loose CV joints. Front ones always go bad.
Repleaced left front axle, cv boot was split and axle shot. Still does it when i am pulling out of parking spots or into parking spots. Seems like it is only in the morning when the car is cold???? I am lost at this point....
Old 03-05-2010, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default wheel chatter

I was having the same problem from the rear wheels, it felt like the right side only. It ended up being the u joint in the rear drive shaft.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silentpeat
I was having the same problem from the rear wheels, it felt like the right side only. It ended up being the u joint in the rear drive shaft.
Had a buddy of mine watch my car this morning and he said the tires were stuttering when i was turning. Basically they were slipping. Any one ever heard of tires slipping like this in the cold? I am running Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. Outer side looks a little worn down but not too bad.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Had a buddy of mine watch my car this morning and he said the tires were stuttering when i was turning. Basically they were slipping. Any one ever heard of tires slipping like this in the cold? I am running Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. Outer side looks a little worn down but not too bad.
When you say cold, how cold? Max performance summer tires definitely don't like cold weather (below 40º). I had GSD3's on my Volvo S60R (I know, not the same car, heck, not even the same AWD system) and the front tires would chatter on that thing in the cold under slow tight turns (i.e. parking lot maneuvers) like no other! The Eagles are awesome tires, when used within their design parameters. But cold isn't one of them, and look out for cold+wet! Yikes!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ~pino~
When you say cold, how cold? Max performance summer tires definitely don't like cold weather (below 40º). I had GSD3's on my Volvo S60R (I know, not the same car, heck, not even the same AWD system) and the front tires would chatter on that thing in the cold under slow tight turns (i.e. parking lot maneuvers) like no other! The Eagles are awesome tires, when used within their design parameters. But cold isn't one of them, and look out for cold+wet! Yikes!
I live north west of Philadelphia so we are talking 20's in the morning when I get in the car. Your S60 was doing the same as mine, I learned my lesson with these tires after a 2 foot snow storm. Slid into a snow bank and cracked the front bumper doing 5 mph in a parking lot!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I live north west of Philadelphia so we are talking 20's in the morning when I get in the car. Your S60 was doing the same as mine, I learned my lesson with these tires after a 2 foot snow storm. Slid into a snow bank and cracked the front bumper doing 5 mph in a parking lot!!!
Well, like I said, be careful!
I always struggle as to when to swap the winters out for the sticky rubber, and I distinctly remember the F1's being slick on those rainy April days with temps ranging in the low 40's.
But alas, I may have gotten off topic.