S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Do our fog lights even help in the fog? It seems to me all they do is impede IC airflow. Remember

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do our fog lights even help in the fog? It seems to me all they do is impede IC airflow. Remember

that living in the desert, I haven't seen fog in a good five years or more. Other than trying to look cool, does anyone actually use their fogs for functionality. I understand the idea of having the light source lower to cut under the fog, but it seems to me that if that were the case, you would want to be able to turn the fogs on without the headlights (which just bounces back off the fog). Flame away.
Old 07-28-2001, 05:09 PM

Default They're not really fog lights...

They are actually lower driving lights. They are called fog lights, but they are white driving bulbs in the housings. True fog lights are yellow, which produces a lightwave able to penetrate the fog, rather than bounce off it like white bulbs.

If you don't see fog pull them out and put in Canadian grills, more air to the ICs. Or, as I and others have done, put in real fog lights if you ever think you'll drive in fog.
Old 07-28-2001, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default fog lights...don't have to be yellow..that's a French thing

it all about the beam pattern, not the color

although yellow might be a better wavelength

the lights on the S4 are NOT driving lights

they are foglights

Driving lights would be aimed and focued to throw light

straight ahead and farther down the road

our lights are aimed short and to the sides --foglights

Oh, and phoenixS4?, you can't compare the type of KO3 and IC on the A4

to our type of KO3's and our IC's (our IC's are a bit better and don't work as hard as the one on the A4)

So their (A4 guys), exp with FMIC's, will always be different than what the S4 NEEDS

not going to find any useful data there

apples and oranges

also the KO3 (any style), is WAYYYY smaller than any Eclipse turbo you've ever seen in the US

it's is NOT, a "medium" sized turbo

but yes, remove your Foglights..I did
Old 07-28-2001, 05:45 PM

regardless of how you aim white bulbs they will never cut through fog as well as yellow bulbs
Old 07-28-2001, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default HEY WAIT A MINUTE!! Tell me more about these Canuck grills. I want to remove my "fogs" but did not

know what to do with the holes that would be left. You are saying that north of the border cars have the meash filling up the entire grill whole? If so WERE DO I GET THEM?

Plus, I know that it is universally disliked on Imola and Nogaro cars, but since I have silver, what would everyone think of painting all four grill inserts matching silver? Too Kraut/Rice?
Old 07-28-2001, 05:57 PM

Default some info...

The Canadian grills are mesh all across. The part numbers are: Left - 8D0 807 345 M GRU, Right - 8D0 807 346 M GRU.
Old 07-28-2001, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

YOU RAWK DUUUUDE! When you say mesh, do you mean like an RS4 grill? Anyone have a photo?
Old 07-28-2001, 06:07 PM

Default found this article on white vs yellow fog lights

<ul><li><a href="http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF5/593.html">http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF5/593.html</a</li></ul>
Old 07-28-2001, 06:07 PM

no, stock grid mesh the current ones have.
Old 07-28-2001, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Awesome. That totally solves my problem. I am going to order them on Monday. Thank you so much. My

poor intercoolers need as much air as possible - it was 110F here today! Now I can use the left over power lines to the fogs to run my purple neon on the underside of the car from the slick switch on the dashboard (I hope you know I am kidding). Seriously, I cannot believe that I did not know about the Canadian grills until now. I wonder if they come painted already (doubt it).

Quick Reply: Do our fog lights even help in the fog? It seems to me all they do is impede IC airflow. Remember