S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Does anyone here have a healthy & Strong running AWE Stg3 A box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not to be disrespectful, but it seems everything is always just one revision away but it never ends

up being true. When that revision comes out their is always anticipation for the next and how it going to fix the current, seems like a viscious cycle.

Who long is it going to take ? What are the goals ? What are the realistic expectations ? Is it possible to eliminate the rough idle completely ? Can the on / off throttle bucking be 100% corrected ?

Not trying to hate, just trying to understand what the target goals are for the kit so buyers know what they can expect because I certainly didn't.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I believe the goal is to have a smooth idle....

and to eleviate the off throttle bucking as much as possible... but I can't speak for AWE. I know what you mean about the revisions, but, it has always been obvious to me that they are trying to improve it and are not just blowing smoke to pacify. Sure I wish it would improve faster, but I have seen progress and I think I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I can only speak to the A box, but the hurdles that they've faced with the A box tuning, and the hitachi MAF conversion has been an incredibly complex obstacle to overcome. Heck, they used my car to develop the first hitachi code. From what I've experienced, and heard from others, is that the new 3 bar FPR and code greatly improves the driveability issues. The M box is apparantly much improved in this regard.

I got a taste of it with my A box with 3 bar. Before ECU adaptation, my idle was very smooth and the bucking was almost non-existant... I could only feel it occasionally and it was *very* subtle. However, in my car, the hitachi converstion issues would creep back up as the ECU adapted and it wouldn't run well. It appears that the hitachi issues will be gone very soon though and us A boxers will be running just like the M boxers... wish I could say more :-)
Old 04-27-2004, 02:10 PM

Default That sounds really good, I admire your patience with your investment with AWE.

I sounds like things are going to payoff in the end.

From what I gather, A boxers are finding ways to run the M code. I assume this is the temporary solution until things are sorted out in the next revision ?
Old 04-27-2004, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

wouldn't it be nice if all the boxes ran essentially the same *good* code? ;-)
Old 04-27-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Would make it easier for everyone involved.

It's obvious that many A boxers are putting their heads together and trying anything possible to get the best possible solution. This is a definately a good thing. Seems to be a bit of an undergound, un-endorsed movement
Old 04-27-2004, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

heh... whatever works at this point!