S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Does a chip alter the lifespan of an engine or turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2000, 09:04 PM
David Ritter

Default Does a chip alter the lifespan of an engine or turbos?

Does anyone know if the chip seriously alter the lifespan of the turbos or engine? What I mean is does increasing the preasure in the turbo by 1 bar cause that much additional wear on the turbos or engine?

Thanks for any advice.

Dave Ritter
'00 S4
Old 02-23-2000, 02:56 AM
George

Default Re: Does a chip alter the lifespan of an engine or turbos?

By one bar?

I think you meant TO one bar. Increasing it by one bar would definately cause problems!

Any time you increase power in the engine, you increase wear and tear on the engine's components. Chipping absolutely affects lifespan of the engine components. A lot? Probably not, but it does affect it. People have been chipping cars for years without any issues you'd have beyond issues you get with any engine modification. The S4 is interesting because of the magnitude of increase you get from the chip, I've personally never even heard of another car with twenty percent or more increases in horsepower and 33 percent increases in torque with just a chip swap. In a couple years we'll know what the chips do to the engines.

Personally I'm more concerned about the affect on the transmission than the engine...
Old 02-23-2000, 03:59 AM
Jim De Arras

Default Probably not. But the temptation to "abuse" the car is greater,and that may alter lifespan.

But in "normal" driving, it's plain impossible to stay in the 1 bar boost range long enough to have any effect on anything, IHMO. When you are in boost like that, speeds well in excess of posted limits are a very few seconds away.

If you race the car, on a track, then yes, you may reduce the lifespan with more boost. But not on the street.

All IHMO, of course!
Old 02-23-2000, 04:26 AM
David Ritter

I forgot to add that one of the reasons for my questions is that I know Audi uses the same engine in the RS4 which reportedly turns out ~380hp. If the engine is truly capable of this (obviously the emissions are different too) it seems to me that chipping the engine should still keep the engine within the operating parameters that Audi desgined it for and it has been severly de-tuned for the US market.

To sum up, chipping the engine actually restores the engine closer to it's full design potential.

Can anyone see a flaw in my logic or provide me with a sanity check? Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
Old 02-23-2000, 05:20 AM
vic_b

Default Re: Does a chip alter the lifespan of an engine or turbos? Try posting this on the A4 forum...

Chips for the 1.8T have been available for quite sometime. Maybe our chipped A4 friends could enlighten us to any potential problems they've had. Just a thought.
Old 02-23-2000, 05:42 AM
RM

Default It's the increase in boost that gives the huge gains.

Most unmodified turbo cars are capable of huge gains with just a chip swap if the boost is also increased at the same time. Engine, turbo, drive train and most likely brake life will be shortened due to the increased HP caused by the increased boost. I would not be surprised if the life of these components were shortened by 25 percent or more. A stock engine may make it 200,000 miles(Optimistic?), whereas the chipped engine may be ready for a rebuild after 150,000 miles. This is the price you pay for power.
Old 02-23-2000, 06:14 AM
Brad Franklin

Default not exactly....

<i>I forgot to add that one of the reasons for my questions is that I know Audi uses the same engine in the RS4 which reportedly turns out ~380hp. If the engine is truly capable of this (obviously the emissions are different too) it seems to me that chipping the engine should still keep the engine within the operating parameters that Audi desgined it for and it has been severly de-tuned for the US market.
</i>

We're not just talking about emissions differences here...I'm no expert on Audi's but the RS4 probably has larger turbochargers, intercoolers, higher flow heads, free flow exhaust. The S4 has not been severely detuned for the U.S. market....the S4 is significantly different car.

<i>To sum up, chipping the engine actually restores the engine closer to it's full design potential.</i>

Well actually, chipping and exhaust bring the engine all the way to it's fullest potential without major induction modifications. In addition, I would say it approaches the "ragged edge" potential of the stock motor...meaning there is not much margin to handle other problems, like detonation from bad gas. Knock sensors will not always save you, and it doesn't take much detonation to damage your pistons and valves. That being said, chances are you'll probably do okay...use good "brand" gasoline, octane booster is even better, and the engine can take some knock, just not alot. Anyway enjoy your S4 and learn to exploit the gobs of power it already has

Brad
Old 02-23-2000, 07:19 AM
erik

Base engine is already "stressed" a bit (20%?) by virtue of being turbocharged. Abuse of even the stock motor will shorten the life. Addditional boost = more stress. But, go ahead, make your day...
Old 02-23-2000, 09:04 AM
Silver Phantom

Default RS4 differences

This is the same question that I have been pondering. I read somewhere that the RS4 has different cams and larger turbos. Assuming that there are no changes to the pistons, rods, the crank, etc., then it seems to me that the biggest concerns with chipping the S4 should be the clutch and the turbo-charger itself. I would hazard a guess that the component that is most likely to suffer from the increased boost is the turbo-charger itself, and that we may see some early demise of the turbo-chargers on the chipped cars. I might do it anyway, and rationalize it by telling myself that I will only push it hard once in a blue moon.
Old 02-23-2000, 09:54 AM
RS4.org

RS4 is almost a new car ! see top post

Quick Reply: Does a chip alter the lifespan of an engine or turbos?