S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Does it ever end? Shift linkage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does it ever end? Shift linkage?

So I have been noticing lately that while in gear there seemed to be a lot of slop in the stick shift. More travel left and right. I figured it was my short shifter.

Related or not it has been grinding a little going into 2nd and now and then 4th.

My clutch still slips on hard launches and now it also feels like it is slipping shifting at high rpms. It feels like it looses power as soon as I shift into the next gear.

Last night I a driving home (in the rain). It was pouring so I was driving very conservative if you will.

I drop off a friend at her house, car in neutral. I press the clutch in a slight hesitation going in to 1st and then nothing. its just moving around and it feels like it's not connected to anything. I hope its just a linkage part or something.

I pushed the car off the road. It was good it happened in front of my friends house. I twisted off the shift **** and yanked the whole assembly up in frustration plastic covers from the ashtray and something else went flying, I was a bit pissed. I took out the 2 nuts and looked down to check the short shifter and all looked fine. Then walked about a mile with my friend to his house (in the rain).

I am a bit frustrated right now. I am going to have it towed to my house sometime. I need some alone time right now. haha

I am thinking about finding someone who will drop my trans so I can just put in a resurfaced stock FW and a Vast clutch. I have a gut feeling my slipping problem could be FW related and I don't want to change the FW and reuse the CM clutch since it only has 3000 miles on it but I don't want to have to pull it again b/c it was the clutch. Change both if I am going to do it. Agree?? I have the upgraded shift linkage in there too.

One yea, and I am trying to see if that person that can do the work for me would take a 1997 Honda XR200 as trade for work done. my wallet is tapped lately. The dirt bike was running but then sat a year and didn't start last time I tried. I don't know dirt bikes I am sure its an easy fix. I didn't ride it more than a handful of times. I want to also be there helping. Just an idea at this point.

I'll be checking it tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Ps. I'm in N. NJ
Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also check the linkage at the transmission, JHM has that part as an upgrade I believe.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have it in now. 3000 miles on it. I hope its something that connects to it.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Check the bolt holding the linkage to the selector shaft (at the transmission)

Mine mysteriously backed out after a clutch install. I assume it was not torqued properly. Sort of easy fix.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Joey T

Get it to Albany, NY and I will do the work for the bike
Old 07-05-2008, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If I can't find anyone closer I will. (more)

Have you done it before? How long will it take if I have all the parts (clutch, FW) ready to go? Does it have to be a weekend thing? Where would it be done?

You can answer here or shoot me an e-mail.

If I decide to do it I want it done ASAP intime for waterfest.

I am sure the linkage can be fixed and I can drive it there.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i have a JHM linkage upgrade for sale if you need it.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Joey T

Default I do it for a living.

So yeah, I can do it. If on a weekend, well, that would suck. Better to leave it with me for a few days so I can do it on a lift.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Where are you located?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Joey T

Scotia, NY 12302

Quick Reply: Does it ever end? Shift linkage?