S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Does nogaro blue really attract that much attention (especially cops) ? NT

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-1999, 12:35 AM
mason

Does nogaro blue really attract that much attention (especially cops) ? NT
Old 12-18-1999, 07:07 AM
Steve S.

Default My dissertation on Car Colors and Cops

Coming from owning many red cars in my driving career, and also owning a number of other cars ov varying colors, I think I have some worthwhile comments on this subject:

Here is how I see each color and their Police Officer Notice Quotient:

1) Nogaro Blue: somewhat noticable but not bad...at night you are just like any other car..in bright sunlight on a freeway you are slightly noticable but still not that bad. Haulin butt down a crowded city street in daylight..you WILL be noticed. (BTW, this is the color I ordered)

2) Santorin or Europa Blue/Jaspis or Cactus Green - pretty stealth....concentration in these colors might sway towards the older owners. Cops will tend to stay away from these colors.

3) Laser Red - very noticable to officers of the law...but if you drive "smart" you will "NOT" get tickets. I have had this color for the last 30 months...I have only been pulled over twice...and got one ticket. This color can be made less noticable by leaving stock wheels/tires on the car.

4) Brilliant or Imola Yellow - THIS IMHO is the car to get pulled over with. Everyone will notice this car! If you are trying to avoid cops since you have a few moving violations DO NOT get these colors.

5) Casablanca or Pearl White - These cars are one of the most stealth there are. There are tons of white cars on the road, especially Hondas...so if you are wanting to be stealthy...this is the color for you. You will be virtually unnoticed by the police.

6) Silver or Light Silver/Melange/Sable Brown/Beige - Lets see...probably 40% of the A4s sold are in this color. It appeals to just about every age bracket and exemplifies the Audi Name (Silver does). These colors are also stealth...except if you have a big wing and the Rieger/A!Avantgarde body kit

7) Brilliant or Volcano Black - Brilliant black is the cool look...usually purchased by younger car buyers that don't understand how difficult it is to maintain a black car and to not produce swirl marks. Cops seem to notice these cars for some reason...usually because a lot of them have 17" wheels/tires and have tinted the windows black. You will "probably" be pulled over if you have this color.

8) Tropical Green/Aquarell or Pelican Blue/Autumn Red - rare colors that will draw attention to you....especially tropical green. Not many dealers will order these colors...without a sizable non-refundable security deposit. They don't want you to decide on another car color when they finally get to see it in person..and they don't want to try to sell it to someone else...it may take numerous months to sell these colors in certain regions of the US. I personally like Pelican Blue and might get it at some time in the future. Cops will notice you.

Well, there are other colors...but they are just eluding me at this time. Basically, any car color will get you pulled over if you are driving crazy on city streets and freeways. If you drive smart you can avoid being pulled over at all...no matter what color car you have.

Off the soapbox...back to your normally scheduled programming.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM (Laser Red...and for sale)
00 S4 (Nogaro Blue and in transit)
Old 12-18-1999, 07:41 AM
JTG

Default Driving an S4 is not for people who want to get noticed(except Imola)

I have had my Nogaro/Acantara for three weeks now and it has drawn very little attention. Yesterday getting my winter wheels/tires put on at NTB the interior drew more attention than the exterior. One guy asked me what it was and when I told him an S4 he just gave me a dumb look. He asked me if it was a performance car, after I told him it was to the A4 what the M3 was to he 3 series he began to understand. It started to sink in when he noticed the front brakes. For me it is kinda of nice to have a performance car that blends in, I have a red 97 Mustang Cobra and that thing still attracts attention, much of it the kind you don't want. So far I love my S4, maybe I won't want to drive the Cobra next year.
Old 12-18-1999, 08:23 AM
HE

Default Article in Car & Driver on colors/tickets &accidents

A couple of years ago, Car & Driver did a small article on car colors. I don't recall which issue.

Their findings from police and insurance records were:

1) The top 3 colors for cars receiving speeding tickets: Red, Yellow, and White (I believe in that order)

2) Colors receiving fewest speeding tickets: Black, and Silver

3) Colors with fewest accidents: Red, Yellow, and White

4) Colors with hightest rate of accidents: Silver and Black

One conclusion was that while the bright colors made you more noticable to police, they also made it less likely for other motorists to not see you and pull out in front of you or drive into you.
Old 12-18-1999, 08:40 AM
april

Be stealthy - pavement grey ! We need Volcano back
Old 12-18-1999, 08:55 AM
Johannes Erdfelt

Default I think it's just the statistics

If 100 people buy a Red car and400 people buy a Silver car and they both have the same percentage of accidents, there will be less Red car accidents.

I'd like to see the math and numbers behind their conclusions
Old 12-18-1999, 09:23 AM
Jyoteen

Default Re: My dissertation on Car Colors and Cops

Well,

I've owned fast Red, Blue, Black cars, and now an Imola Yellow S4. Let me tell you that in the two and a half weeks of owning an S4, it attracts a LOT of attention. People want to know what it is, and more importantly, it is got me on the edge.

I am paranoid that someone is going to scratch the sucker. I wasn't that concerned about the black VR6 that I had.

Also, in the same past 2 1/2 weeks, I've been pulled over three times (all alleging that I was going fast); luckily none of the times produced a ticket.

I haven't had a single ticket in 12 years of driving, the only other one was when I owned a 87 Red Integra, and got pulled over on 390 in New York state doing 62 in a 55. Sheesh.
Old 12-18-1999, 10:12 AM
HE

Default Re: I think it's just the statistics

That is a valid point. Statistics may be skewing the findings.

But from may personal experiences of driving many different colors and types of cars over 33 years, there may be something to the accident numbers.

I've had noticably more people pull out right in front of me (as if they never saw me) where I've had to slam on the breaks to avoid collision , while I was driving cars that were either silver (Integra, Pontiac STE), or in that "grey/charcoal brown" area (Legend) or Silver/Green Champaigne (VW Dasher).

On the other hand, I've owned 2 bright red cars (Bugeye Sprite & Civic Si), a bright white car (Integra GSR), and 2 bright yellow cars (924 and another Dasher) and almost never experienced that same problem while driving those cars.

Personal experiences with other colors have fallen somewhere in the middle: Gold (Maxima - soon to be replaced by a new Pearl White S4), and a hodgepodge of others in Maroon, Candy Apple Red, Dark Blue, British Racing Green, and some colors I don't think I can even describe anymore.

Just my .02 for what it's worth.
Old 12-18-1999, 12:24 PM
Vince

Default Re: Be stealthy - pavement grey ! We need Volcano back

I've had a pavement grey car, some one ran a red light into me. Caused me to put on parking lights while driving in the city!
Old 12-18-1999, 03:58 PM
rickp

Default Excellent post Steve! .........plus, my Nogaro blue experiences

Steve,

Your experiences are right on with mine.

I *love* my Nogaro blue! While I've had a lot attention from "regular" folks (complete strangers come up and talk to me about the car), I haven't had any undue attention from police.

I do miss the easy maintenance days of my silver A4. Except for the wheels, I could get away without washing it for a month to six weeks!

With the Nogaro S, though, you can almost see the dust falling on it! (grins) While, it's not as bad as black, something about a darker pearlescent color makes me wanna wash it almost every few days (I do restrain myself to once a week)!

Also, it's much easier to see swirl marks - so I use a very soft towel when I dry it.

But, after you've washed your Nag blue baby......watch out!

The wheels: Those wheels are easy to scratch so be careful. Make sure you look at the wheels carefully when you take delivery. I actually found scratch marks on one wheel where the dealer had not been careful enough pulling in the car into a bay to wash it. They are replacing it.

Rick

Quick Reply: Does nogaro blue really attract that much attention (especially cops) ? NT