S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Donromani's (soon to be) EPIC RS6 thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, will do. I'll probably be assembling them today so I will post some pics for you pretty soon.

Update on the build: After talking with Prince @ Vast today he recommended I skip the X-1 intake and use the RS4 stuff instead so that's what I'll be doing.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wdbdy2000s4
My buddy ran a VAST remote tune at 26psi on his stock block for over a year before selling his car and it still ran strong. The early onset of torque, timing, and the condition of the motor are all important factors. You really need to put it in the hands of a competent tuner.
My car was vast tuned aswell my motor had 69,000 miles on it so it was good it just takes one early boost spike and the tq will bend the rods. and what fats times was your buddies rs6 car running because Iam willing to bet it was not running 2.8s in 95 degree weather up hill slope.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 10.98 or bust s4
My car was vast tuned aswell my motor had 69,000 miles on it so it was good it just takes one early boost spike and the tq will bend the rods. and what fats times was your buddies rs6 car running because Iam willing to bet it was not running 2.8s in 95 degree weather up hill slope.
I asked Prince about this today and he said they will be boosting to 22psi. They know I don't have a built motor and with a remote tune they probably wouldn't want to risk running 26psi anyway.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by donromani
Update on the build: After talking with Prince @ Vast today he recommended I skip the X-1 intake and use the RS4 stuff instead so that's what I'll be doing.
Did he give any reason why to go RS4 intake over X-1? There seem to be no info what so ever does the X-1 really flow better and give you more hp compared to darintake for example..
Old 09-15-2009, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mikse
Did he give any reason why to go RS4 intake over X-1? There seem to be no info what so ever does the X-1 really flow better and give you more hp compared to darintake for example..
My understanding is that the X-1 is the most elegant solution to the typical downside of open intake elements in these cars, that being that you trade increased air flow for hotter air. Basically the X-1 solves this dilemma by sealing the intake area off from the rest of the engine bay as much as possible. There's nothing special about the filter, what you're really paying for is that carbon fiber enclosure.

The main reason Prince suggested going with the RS4 stuff is because the X-1 fabrication was holding up the rest of the order, plus their ECU tune is based on the RS4 stuff - and it's cheaper to boot. I need the car on the road more than I need the ideal intake solution, so it was a no brainer.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard more reports of the fancy intake solutions increasing fats times anyway.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee
I've heard more reports of the fancy intake solutions increasing fats times anyway.
Depends on the intake.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspect it's more of the tune. Most tuners really work hard to get the MAF readings just they way they want them. Thats why they typically want you to run there MAF, airbox and all that jazz. Changing the airbox from what thier software is designed to run on will likely cause negative results from the MAF readings varying slightly.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 1000 views

Woot! I have leveled up from Post ***** to Attention *****.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mikse

x-1 brings in more grams of air a sec according to mike at vast when they tuned my car using one and its great for the track pop the headlight out and you have a ram air set-up and also it looks so nice in the engine bay with the carbon x-1 the oem rs4 y-pipe and then to top it off i put the oem rs4 carbon engine covers looks amazing

Quick Reply: Donromani's (soon to be) EPIC RS6 thread